Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I learned that there are multiple federal laws that can supersede FERPA and if federal agencies request access to student's personal information, that their identities and need for the information should be verified before releasing the information. This should also be recorded. Also, if a teacher wants to record their lesson and post it on social media, then the teacher needs to get written permission to do that from the students.

It Is good to learn about the Solomon Act. It is amazing to me that any instructor would ever want to put student's discussion and posts on Youtube. I cannot ever imagine doing this because I would have always believed I am giving out my students private information. It is good to know that student's rights to their data are protected.

Excellent opportunity to learn about online classes and FERPA discussions and presentations; it's all about the privacy and permissions given.

I was glad to see the information on the Distance Learning because many of my institution's rules seem to come from that DOE determination. 

I have that there are other Acts that may  needs be applied even though the institution comply with FERPA regulations.

The information about third-party is interesting. 

I learned that in regard to online discussions, students cannot demand anonymity, and that there are other laws/agencies that can override FERPA, depending upon circumstances.

Great information!

This section has dealt a lot with sharing information in our digital age.  We take for granted all the safety measures that have been put into place before during and after our own schooling.  As a current online teacher, I didn't even know some of the things like posting videos of students on youtube.  I have never done it, but it makes you really think about things.  What also got me right here was the Solomon act as well.

As I am online instructor i could know about  to protect the privacy of your students

I get that there are FERPA implications with posting recorded live online sessions. However, I know that many teachers/professors are recording zoom sessions and posting them to their institutions' LMS's so students can go back and view them. How is it that they're able to get permission to do this?

I appreciate that students must be identified in online discussions.

In todays electronic world, it is easy to see where FERPA will be important. Institutions not only have an obligation to protect FERPA realted student information, but it must also protect loss of that information to unapproved people such as hackers.  

I was familiar with HIPAA and the USA Patriot Act, but this section introduced me to the Solomon Amendment, Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, and SEVIS.  It makes sense that under the Patriot Act any helpful information must be released when investigating a terrorist act. This module brought to light that there is a lot of overlap on protecting an individual’s privacy but there is also the potential for many exceptions depending on the agency and the circumstance.  In other words, keeping up with FERPA and any exceptions is important.

It was interesting to learn about the various other government Acts that protect various information, and sometimes even supercede the FERPA.

I think with the online environment students are quick to record classes but I am not sure where those recordings are going.  The implications of those recordings is something for an administrator to consider.  Without explicit permission, are we complying with FERPA guidelines?

I learned of the impact other laws and regulations can have on FERPA. It is important to know which regulations can supercede FERPA and to act accordingly when information is requested.

I have been very familiar with HIPPA, and the importance of knowing what to safeguard. FERPA is just as important and all instructors need to have knowledge of this topic especially when it comes to releasing any information about a student. Knowing what is personally identifiable is an area that helped me during this module. Lots of information to absorb! 

FERPA Challenges was a very interesting topic. It is noted that students must give permission to be video taped if shared on YouTube\ and that students can not  be anonymous on discussion boards. Soloman amendment gives military recruiters certain rights as well as the Patriot Act that gives the Attorney General rights. Financial institutions have certain rights as well. 

In addition to all the acts that supercede FERPA (Solomon, etc...), I learned about the E-Sign Act.  It was passed in the year 2000. 

Sign In to comment