Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

It was very interesting to learn about the other regulations that we need to deal with regarding student data.  I have worked with recruiters quite a bit in the past and they've always provided signed releases to me.  I was interested to read about the Solomon Amendment and how it supercedes FERPA.

I learned that there are agencies that supersede FERPA regulations. An example would be “the Solomon Amendment” which is a federal law that allows military recruiters to access some address, biographical, and academic program information on students aged 17 and older. Institutions are obliged to provide the information once per term to each branch of the armed services upon request by military recruiters.  Tis was new information for me. As was the  “Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act” which requires financial institutions to explain their information-sharing practices to their customers and to protect sensitive data. With online learning students I was glad to learn that they can opt out of sharing directory information, but they cannot be completely anonymous, and they are required to participate in online postings an activities. All new updates for me althought I have been in education a while.  Very useful.  

If an instructor is teaching online and wants to record the class, a release would be needed to record students responding.  Students' participation may prevent the instructor in posting or showing the video. 

It has been helpful to learn what must been released, what is not, when it is on a registry, and more.  Laws are in place for the student and the institution.

I'd like to see the law around needing written consent from a student to post their participation in a course online.  I got many ideas about Best practices. I learned about the Solomon Amendment and the Patriot Act.... I need to find out what our policy on Esigning is though we tend to use it quite a bit. 

In this module I was able to learn about the importance how FERPA is affected related to HIPPA, Solaman Amendment, and SEVIS.  HIPPA has alot of similarities to FERPA protection of rights.  I learned what the Solaman Admendment was and how it supercedes FERPA.  This information is very relavent.  The online method of teaching presents unique challenges with FERPA and it makes sense not to have Anonymous students since you need interaction between students and the instructor.     

I agree Karen.  The takeaway is that  records that are protected by FERPA are not susceptible to the HIPAA Privacy regulations and can be shared, for example to parents responsible for the dependent children.

FERPA does not apply to students upon graduation and therefore, the institution would be allowed to release the resume to prospective employers without the FERPA documentation requirements. However, an institution may choose to document such sharing to demonstrate efforts to support graduates with career assistance.

I have learned about how distance learning has impacted the right to a student's privacy. I wonder; ddoes student on a fully online program have the right to hide their visual identiy to other students and only allow access to their contact information (Email/class username)? Does physical anonymity fall under the "anonymus" identiy that a student is not allowed to have?

I learned that the USA Patriot Act can amend FERPA and information can be released without parent or student consent to the Attorney General of the United States if it is in connection with an investigation or prosecution of terriosim crimes.  The institution is not required to record the disclosure.

I agree with many in stating that I was not aware of the Solomon Act. It's also important to note how much social media and online education has impacted the FERPA guidelines and how adminstration needs to double check to ensure they are protecting students' privacy.

all knds of safeguard are in place

Interesting information - important to know these guidelines ; if I am unsure I need to refer to FERPA guidelines 

This section provided insight into the the Solomon Amendment, the U.S. Patriot Act, the Gramm-Leach-Bailey Act and SEVIS. It also showed the similarities as well as differences between FERPA and HIPPA. 

I learned about the Solomon act and the protections in place for online environments. As a former students in online classes, you sign the form and hardly ever look at the fine print. But, online classes are a lot easier to attend when you have a busy lifestyle and want to furhter your education.

I learned how other laws can override FERPA  with regard to students' information and educational records. 

Technology poses another layer to FERPA. Keeping records safe and working with e-signatures is important in today's environment. 

It was a surprise to learn that if a Homeland security requests to verify the individual’s identity and authority, the faculty must release the information as appropriate, and document accordingly without asking the purpose of this check up.

I learned that there are some acts that do interfere with FERPA such as the Solomon act and HIPPA. This applies to my line of work because we regularly admit students with a military background so it is important to understand who can receive information and exactly what information they are eligible to receive through the Solomon act. 

Requests by military recruit officers for student information to be used recruitment purposes must be accommodated.

Sign In to comment