Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I did not know that other government programs override the FERPA Act and that the government can access information without needing the student's permission

In this day and age where almost everything is digital, it is important to know how to navigate in a way that still upholds FERPA standards. For example, now a days social media is very popular and some teachers may like to utilize a platform to showcase what they are teaching in class. It is important for that teacher to know the rules in doing so, which include having permission from the students before being posted. 

Learned about the Solomon Act.

I would verify individuals credentials before releasing any info.

There are a few laws that can supercede FERPA, such as The USA Patriot Act. The E-sign Act and Information Security protects all information that is acquired electronically. 

It is interesting to see a lot of laws or acts come play together or against another. I guess it would mostly depend on the sitaution or reasoning of certain releases. 

It is important to protect student information whetjher the student is on campus or online.

Agreed Kathleen. 

I agree with the comments of the others, I didn't realize some of the items could be revealed.

on-line education also qualifies under FERPA regs....

FERPA takes precedence over all other regulators when applied to educational records

I learned about the SEVIS  & Solomon Amendment

Being annonymous with discussion boards was a question that I had that is now clear. Many instructors like to record slectures with student particiation, and it is good to know that before posting on you tube,students need to sign consemts.

I leanred that the impact of technology and distance learning has made some of the protection difficult, therefore we need to be more careful on how we share information.

I was not very familiar with the Solomon's Amendment or the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act-and wow, I’m a bit shocked. My question is, I do not recall institutions publishing a student facing notice that reflects federal law’s that interact with FERPA. In the reading it was not clear to me if the institution needs a policy or should have practice with notifying students in this regard. It would matter since the federal laws will most likely supersedes FERPA.

This was a great section showing all the different Acts and regulations and what supersedes what-a lot of information in this section

I learned that permission must be obtained to record students for public display.

do not share information haphazerdly

Interesting to think about how FERPA applies when wanting to share a screen shot of an online classroom. 

Students participating in distance learning cannot be announimus when posting on discussion boards for courses.

Sign In to comment