Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I learned that there are multiple federal laws that can supercede FERPA and if federal agencies request access to student's personal information, that their identities and need for the information should be verified before releasing the information and should also be recorded. I also learned that if a teacher wants to record their lesson and post it on social media, then the teacher needs to get written permission to do that from the students.

I have learned that it is extremely important to be cognizant of the use of technology and the FERPA rules/regulations.Teaching in a hybrid environment, it can be easy to forget that privacy is still a concern and must be protected for my students. My awareness related to this issue has been heightened as a result of completing these modules. It will better direct my practice as an instructor.

I learned how FERPA relates to other agencies and the importance for distance learning in maintain FERPA regulations.

Outside of HIPAA, all of the acts I am fairly inexperienced with.  Knowing that FERPA has some strict guidelines on protecting confidentiality, it is interesting that there are other guidelines that can override the stringency of FERPA.

Interesting requirement that students can not be in an online class as anonymous. I don't require cameras on because of the recent hacking issues and I teach high school students in another college. However, they are in an environment where their student account gives them access to the web conferencing session. We need to be careful to balance security and privacy. 

A 2009 amendment clarified that a student cannot be “anonymous” in class, even in a distance learning environment. Therefore, although personally identifiable information related to the student’s progress cannot be disclosed, it is appropriate that contact information be shared for participation in online discussions.

FERPA now has to cover on line learning environments

It was informative to learn and understand the correlation between FERPA and HIPPA laws in addidtion to learning about the Solomon Amendent.  

This section highlighted FERPA and how it is evolving in today's society. Now that everything is online, schools had t adapt from physical paper to digital, and it had to be done the right way, keeping the rules and regulations in mind. 

What the Solomon Amendment is and how it applies to FERPA

I was unaware of how far FERPA needed to be upheld, when thinking of third-party venors.

Interesting to say the least.

My takeaway is the FERPA compliance become even tricky with new technology and online learning. When in doubt, ask students for permission, such as class recording. 

HIPAA has solid standards which protect health information and in some situations can be disclosed with parents of students.  I had heard of HIPAA, but I was new to learn about Solomon's Act and found that quite interesting in the effect of military relations. 

I was surprised about some of the other entities that can get student information without student consent. That FERPA does not take presidence over some of these, i.e. USA Patriot Act .

I am enjoying re-visiting this information.  It's all very pertinent.

Despite the risk of information security risks by hackers or other unauthorized access, today’s systems generally improve opportunities for institutions to share information directly with a student.

Most important topic I learned in this section was that in case of a student has opted out of the institution’s release of Directory Information, it is important that the record protection is managed for all departments that may use this—such as a marketing department managing a Facebook page, a school newspaper, or anywhere that such Directory Information is regularly released.

There is much more to keeping information and knowing when to release it than I anticipated.  goo dinformation

I never knew about these different laws and it makes sense to why they created them. I will definatley pay attention to them and follow as directed. As for teaching online, I do know how it can be very challenging, however if you use common sense you should be able to follow the laws.

Sign In to comment