Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Very informative! Reinforced the importance to abstain from sharing anyone's information without permission. 

I learned that FERPA does not overrule all other acts/laws regarding student information i.e. military requests for information. 

c c
c c

know the rules of the institution and validate the information/request then comply accordingly.

I found it very challenging to guarantee confidentiality while teaching synchronously online, almost impossible. You have no control of the environments the students are in.

I was unaware of the Solomon Amendment,  Gramm-Leach-Bailey Act,  U.S. Patriate Act and SAVIS. I appreciate this online learning forum.  

Interesting to think about unique challenges regarding Distance Education students!

From this module, I have learned that there exists other laws that override FERPA as it relates to the release of student information.

The awareness of external laws and standards and how they inner-act and conflict with FERPA was enlightening; very enlightening. 

A student can't be anonymous in certain activities even if they opt out of directory.

Students cannot be anonymous in distance learning, they must be engaged through the use of discussion boards, lectures, etc. Records protected by FERPA are not subject to HIPPA and the Solomon Amendment supercedes FERPA.  Third party vendors are subject to FERPA.

ad no ideal that the goverment can access without consent 

Never heard of the Solomon Act or considered the Patriot Act regarding students and terrorism.

Permission from the student prior to posting socially even if it is an agreed upon assignment. 

I have learned that it is very complex and requires thought and not immediate action

Sign In to comment