Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I learned about the Solomon Act and how FERPA can be overridden. 

I have learned that there are notable exceptions to FERPA rules including the office of homeland security being able to request records of students without requiring documentation of the disclosure. That is interesting and kind of scary. 

Even with the introduction of E-signatures, students who attend school on an online platform are still given the same privacy protections as students who attend regular school. This is to be expected as all private information should be kept private.

I thought it was interesting to distinguish the authorities that can override a student's authority to disclose their information, like the government.

The standards for maintaining FERPA in the online classroom environment has evolved so much over the decade. The security measures in ensuring the students only expose the necessary identifiable information to participate in the online learning environment has become more advanced and streamlined across the LMS platforms. 

I learned about the Solomon Amendment, which allows recruiters from the military to access specific information on students 17 and older. 

The Solomon Act is interesting as I did not know the Armed Forces could request records related to students.

Social media plays a large roll in todays society and it is another place where institutions need to balance and manage a students preference in sharing information. 

The Solomon Amendment is a federal law that allows military recruiters to access some address, biographical, and academic program information on students aged 17 and older

Technology and online courses have some challenges when honoring FERPA and other privacy laws. This education made me aware of some other privacy laws I was not familiar with and reiterates the importance of faculty training and education on these matters.

The Solomon Amendment, Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, and SEVIS is new information to me. Interesting!

This section heightened my awareness of the intricacies involved with documenting international students and how other laws -- such as Soloman's Act and additional financial restrictions put in place by the FTC. 

Comment on Karen Greene's post

Yes that is what I was about to say too. In addition the Solomon Act is  new to me :-)

I learned that FERPA does not apply to online distance learning students.

This module was very information. As someone who used to work in the healthcare field, a lot of this information resonates a lot in the medical field as well with HIPPA. 

Addressing these challenges requires a proactive approach, regular review of policies, and ongoing communication with stakeholders to ensure a comprehensive understanding of FERPA compliance within the educational community.

Some agencies may be excluded from FERPA requirements, such as the Department of Defense.

There are some federal laws that have priority over FERPA. For example, the Solomon Amendment and the USA Patriot Act.

FERPA only applies to current/active students not graduates. 

I am so appreciative for this opportunity to learn more about this aspect of FERPA and how I can implement this knowledge as an instructor.

Sign In to comment