Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Value added assessments are a more accurate student assessment and providing a rubric will help the student know what the course expectations are.

Helpful topic! I am also going to revise my assignments and rubrics to include "exceeds expectations"  .  Some students do it automatically and deserve the 100% grade on assigfnments.... others meet the criteria but minimally... I want to be able to reward those excellend students and creating a rubric to support that would be one way that is clear to everyone!

Taking assessment beyond the objective by the development of alternative assessment and value-added assessment, as well as all the others in this course, has the benefit of clarifying course material, providing more student engagement, and assuring more real-world application outcomes. The sky is not the limit although -- there is only so much time to develop resources. However, over time improvement can occur.

I learned that ruberics can enhance student's performance. 

Value added assessment is a way to compare the progess of each student which removes potential barriers such as English as a second language or learning disabilities.  This method demonstrates the instructors effectiveness and the student's growth in knowledge.

find that so many of the assessment topics will be useful in developing competency based modules/courses.

Why you should consider using a Rubric Evaluation is below:

Rubrics help instructors:

• Provide students with feedback that is clear, directed and focused on ways to improve learning.
  • Demystify assignment expectations so students can focus on the work instead of guessing "what the teacher wants."
  • Adapt your approach to teaching aspects of a course based on thematic gaps in student learning that are easily identified by reviewing rubrics across a class.
  • Develop consistency in how you evaluate student learning across students and throughout a class.
  • Reduce time spent on grading; Increase time spent on teaching.

Rubrics help students:

• Focus their efforts on completing assignments in line with clearly set expectations.
  • Self and Peer-reflect on their learning, making informed changes to achieve the desired learning level.

REFERENCE: teaching.berkeley.edu/assessment-and-evaluation/design-assessment/rubrics

This module was about rubrics and authentic assessments. This module discussed rubrics and what they are used for. I plan to use rubrics more efficiently.

Rubrics are an assessment tool and measure students' work. Rubrics are very useful in lab classes. 

I learned about Value Added Assessment and the difference between Alternative and Authentic Assessment.

I particularly enjoyed learning about rubrics and how allowing the students to participate in the development of the rubrics can also facilitate learning.

Value added assessments are useful for providing even more information about student learning. Rubrics are a great tool to provide studens with expectations of what is required to acheive a specific grade. Additionally, the use of alternative and authentic assessment provide additional opportunities of assessment that other types of assessments do not offer.

Rubrics are used extensively in assessment. Rubrics play a large role in how student learning is evaluated and recorded.

I learned about the importance of developing and refining rubrics. 

I learned that alternative assessment works best in the online environment because we are able to test the individuals growth over time rather than comparing students with one another.  I plan to incorportate more oral presentations as well as essay questions into my online courses.

A take away regarding value assessments. This tool affords teh instructor to see the difference between where a student started and where they are currently. This a great tool and offers many advantages for the instructor in planning or implementing strategies.

Value-added assessment is important in the ongoing revision of online courses, so that these courses can evaluate if the online course meets the goals and outcomes of the course. Using rubrics for assessments also help both the students and instructor in creating a fair and easy way of assessing students' work, as long as the criteria are not too complicated and easily understood by the students.

What I learned from this module about value added assessment is that it is used to compare the student current progress to previous progress. In other words, it measures student growth. Additionally, this is one way teachers can learn whether the style of delivery is helping students to learn and stand as an accountability tool for teacher’s performance. Last, I can use what I learn to assess my differentiation strategies and make adjustment to my other assessment strategies to ensure that I am meeting the learning needs of all my students.

More of my time needs to be spent on evaluations given by student to get their Idea of learning the content.

I really like the idea of value added assessment, as it compares the growth and learning of each indvidual, vs comparing students to each other.  Although in our profession, specific standards have to be met and a certain level of knowledge and understanding has to be achieved to be able to demonstrate readiness to provide skilled interventions as a health professional, I think a lot of value can be obtained from incorporating value added assessment, if for no other reason than to improve students' awareness of their growth and ability to self-assess progress and readiness for the real world.  I consistently use rubrics for all of course assignments.  I find it alleviates a lot of the stress of the unknown for students and provides them with a road map for success.  It also allows me, as an instructor, to provide more objective and specific feedback to the students.

Sign In to comment