Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

In this module I learned that by providing rubrics to students at the beginning of the assignment will provide them with a guide of  what is exactly expected of them for the assignment/project.  

The main thing I took away from this module is how to make more effective rubrics. My rubrics feature 3 described levels of mastery and are in ascending order. However, the module indicates that it is better to have an even number of levels of mastery and to lay them out in descending order. I will make these changes to my rubrics moving forward and will then assess the results.

I do tend to think of a rubric as just a scoring guide. But I do see how it can provide students a clearer picture of expectations. And I agree with the point that the rubric shouldn't be to complex. In addition to the instructor's observation that an overly complex rubric can be confusing to the students, I would imagine that an overly detailed rubric could undermine an assignment by essentially providing a checklist; then students may become preoccupied with checking-off requirements and loose focus on the purpose of the assignment. 

I have taken courses before that used Rubric. I now realize that the rubric was not used correctly. I never saw the rubric until the coursework was complete and I was given my final grade based off said rubric. I now see how using rubric effectly will enhance my course and the student's learning capabilitiy. 

Rubios allow students to use the rubric to answer their course work. They know what's required for their homework because they can read what they need to include in order to receive credit for answering that questio. it's a guide to getting a good or great grade. The students knows what the instructor is looking for.

Providing a rubric is essential and needed not only as a guide for grading but it provides the students with the guidelines needed for a student to growth.

We tend to think of grades as a way to evaluate students. One thing this unit hit home with was that the process of assessing, evaluating, and grading all lend insight to the effectiveness of the teacher and the course. I like the idea of adding value to the product we offer students. 

Nancy Tosh

The value of a rubric for instructing a student is great. Rubrics can help the student self-evaluate, as well as, helop the instructor know what areas the student may be weak in. There are several different ways to engage with the student ans help them learn.

A crucial part of course evaluation is understanding how students learn and what way you can reach them best.

A good rubric, I find hard to build for some courses. Once created, it is a great tool. I have found i get a better product if I let a peer review and make suggestions

Rubrics help the students know what is expected of them.

Student evaluations are an essential component to assess how well a course is designed.

Hello,

Very informative reading.

David

Rubric is more han a grading tool

Regardless of how much time and effort are spent on preparing a course, it not until you deploy the course and work through the content, delivery, and technology that issues arise. There is always room for improvement, even in the most thoughtfully developed courses. Feedback provided by students can provide a framework of revision necessary for course improvement. All course components should be examined to make the course a better one the next time it is offered.

This is one of the most important comments of the class.  I work for a college that we have limtited access to the Master Shell.  So when there is a "problem" that needs fixed or something that needs tweaked we have to keep a list and then have access the next semester.  By then, I forget.

This module was ripe with new information.  The value-added assessment was intriguing and I can see how it would be useful to a large variety of students.

I have learned that the authentic assessment would be the most important for me to integrate into my classes.  Authentic assessment can demonstrate the appropriate skills and knowledge needed in Nursing.  They need to know how to apply their knowledge in real world situations.  Value assessments are also important to integraet into the lessons.  Rubrics are so important in setting the standards for students to follow for their educational purposes.  Use of a rubric gives students the tools they need to know what is being asked of them so that they may apply themselves in the best way possible.

Value added is valuable to imporve studwnt learning by improving upon their individual levels of intellect

There are several forms of value-added assessments. Instructors should consider their implementation based on the goals of the course and student needs. I'm a big believer in the use of rubrics. I am constantly revising them as I gather more and more data about student performance on specific tasks.

In this module I reviewed about alternative and authentic assessment, and about the importance of rubrics for a beter learning experience.

Sign In to comment