Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Bloom's Taxonomy is useful in building a classroom where learning occurs.  Once a student can reach to the analytical or creating levels, they have mastered the content of this course.

The information on assesments and evaluations was very good information.  The information concerning formative and sumaritive assesments provided me with good information which I will put to use.

As all good instructors know, teaching requires more than simply transmitting information. Instructors must reflect upon their teaching and strive to improve their teaching and student learning. Assessment and evaluation work together to guide instruction, improve student learning, improve teaching, and improve the learning environment.

Diagnostic assessment provides instructors with information about what the student brings to the course, and would be useful in my classroom. This type of assessment may also assist me in grouping students who are more fluent in the area of learning with those who are not as informed. 

Diagnostic assessment is used to evaluate a students knowledge about the course being taught before teaching the course. Formative assessment is a ongoing assessment used within the course framework to see how students are progressing in the course. Summative assessment is used near or at the end of a course to see if the students learned the course completely and if not what did they miss and how to correct in future courses.

There are boundless opportunities to assess student learning. Being creative and intentional is key to discovering what kind of assessment fits the material and the student. 

I learned about the muddiest point, 1-2-3 list, minute paper, and the explanation of Blooms Taxonomy. I plan to use 1-2-3 list and minute paper in my future classes. I like the way the Blooms Taxonomy was explained and the action and products listed.

I learned the difference between assessment and evaluation. 

Assessment is a process of using measurable terms to assess knowledge, attitudes, skills, and/or beliefs. Evaluation is grading and product oriented.

It is very important, as a teacher, to know the difference between assessments and evaluations. The difference between assessment and evaluation - assessment is feedback from the student to the instructor about the student's learning and evaluations use methods and measures to judge student learning and understanding of the material for purposes of grading and reporting. Evaluation is feedback from the instructor to the student about the student's learning. 

I have a better understanding of formative and summative assessments are. I also understand more about evaluation and assessment. 

I have learned the different types of formative and summative assessments. I have also learned the difference between assessing and evaluating. 

I learned about ways to refine assessments I can use throughout my online courses. 

This module discussed diagnostic, formative and summative assessments and the value each has. I like the idea of administering diagnostic assessments that have no grade value, but help students understand or identify concepts they must know and/or review. 

Choosing the appropriate type of assessment is important. Choose the assessment based upon the need. For example, use a diagnostic assessment when you need to obtain knowledge about a student's skills, misconceptions, or prior knowlege knowledge before beginning a learning activity. Use ongoing, formative assessments throughout the learning activity to measure growth, determine what the student has mastered and what still needs work. Use a summative assessment at a specific point in time to measure competency.

The Muddiest Point and 1, 2, 3 list were great Formative Assessments that I had not previously heard of.  The description of Formative and Sumative Assessments really made it possible to better understand what we are to be doing as educators when looking at the Standards we are to be addressing.

There are different ways in assessing how students grasped the lecture of the day. I liked the muddiest question after the class, because it gives the instructor an idea on what the students did not understand, and points can be clarified the next day, before a new topic is discussed. I like using Bloom's  levels of learning, too.

I liked how the text talked about applying diagnostic assessments before starting new activities.  I tend to do this by giving my students quizzes prior to go over new information to gauge how well they already know the information I am about to go over.  This allows me to adjust my lesson plan to either ramp up the learning or tune it down based on what they already know or don't know.

I think it is a good idea to perform diagnostic assessments in the beginning of every course. 

The key take away was diffeerienting between assessments and evaluations. Employing more assessments will lessen the strain on performing evaluations whic are actually scored.

Sign In to comment