Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I learned that I should use some diagnoitic formative assessments for my students.

Discussed how to space types of assessments and how to use different types of assessments.

I learned that assessments are better than evaluations

I understand the assessment concepts but I do not understand why they need to be anonymous; many of the types of formative assessments were directed to be anonymous which doesn't really make sense to me.

There is not just one way to assess. Students can even assess each other. 

The concept of the muddiest point or 1-2-3 allows the instructor to gauge what knowledge has been retained and what could use a review. I will be sure to implement this into my teaching.

This module prvided me with the proper knowledge and techniques on doing diagnostic, formative, and summative assessments and to gauge student effective learning as well as inmproving instructor;s teaching methods.

Dr. Anton Hawatmeh

A pre-test/post-test is a good diagnostic assessment to utilize to measure learning. 

This section made me aware of several options available to gauge student progress and understanding of the material. 

I have used most of these assessment tools.

Linking any of these to real life examples and how they can apply it is the key to it all. I came into a department and the assessments seemed random. Like they were just slapped together to make a project longer. I said to myself that they were nothing like reality and I went about revising them to more accurately reflect real-world examples. Now when students ask why they are doing this assessment, I can say that it is exactly like a scenario encountered in real life and give an example. Makes it more desireable and more informative.

I didn't realize there were so many different types of assessments. I do use all of these types in my courses.

I would avoid using the words "assessment" and "evaluation" as different. The most common differentiation is between formative  and summative and I would argue that those are the concepts that hold the most weight in designing any form of assessment/evaluation. 

Assessment of students has been shown to be very productive in the online class room.  I like the way this course explained the three type and will be trying these out to better understand the process.

Scheduling of formative evaluations

I learned the difference between assessment and evaluation and how to integrated into my online teaching.

Formative assessment must be ongoing because you must constantly assess yourself and the students, in about 20 years of teaching there is one fact......no two classes are alike.

Formative assessments need to continue throughout course to ensure understanding of

materials by the students and instructors

I have learned the difference in the assessments and when to determine which assessment to apply.

Found this helpful:

The exit permit is provided to students at the end of a specific timeframe such as one day, one week, end of a unit, etc. The students are required to list one fact about the content/lesson and one explanation of a concept provided in that timeframe. Exit permits can be designed online as a quick five-minute survey in which students can provide the fact and concept explanation anonymously in a quick timeframe. The survey helps students decipher what they know and helps the instructor assess whether they are learning the content.

Sign In to comment