Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Pre- During & Post Assessments are good, but don't overuse.

Overall, I learned that assessment and evaluation both can be very valuable and, actually, serve different functions.  I also learned about the different styles of assessment.

I do like the concept of finding out what a student knows before actually going in to teach it.  I do like the muddiest point and the 1-2-3 method also.  It not only assists us as instructors to prepare how to teach content, but it also is an evaluation of our teaching methods to see if there is something that needs to be changed in our method or if our method is working in teaching the students.

Its as important to assess pre and post for a better overall understanding what stuswntents know before and after a course is com;leted

It seems that instructors need to design their online courses with a mixture of formative and summative assessments. Incorporating the Revised Bloom's Taxonomy in summative assessments could be utilized as a way really delve into student understanding of material and their ability to utilize in real-world situations.

The summative assessment is complex and comprehensive and must be used appropriately and with specific intent to be meaningful.

In this module I've reviewed diagnostic evaluation objectives, formative evaluation objectives and assessment exercises, and summative evaluation objectives through various methods.

I learned the different funtions of formative and summative assessment, I can use in the courses.

In this module, I have learned that diagnostic assessment provides instructors with information about what the student brings to the course, assignment, or project. This type of assessment may also assist instructors in grouping students who are more fluent in the area of learning with those who are not as informed. Thus, diagnostic assessment not only provides a view of existing knowledge, skills, etc., but reveals the range of knowledge and individual differences, and indicates modifications that need to be made based on this information.

heard about the diagnostic assessment before, but really loved how it was clearly explained here. Unfortunately we don't use it often "not even in face to face classes. And as many of the colleagues have mentioned, we really focus more on summative assessment due to time constraints. I would love to know the students' perceptions once we apply the 3 types of assessment appropriately.

HAving a clear baseline of where the students are will help the instructor when preparing the classes, assessments and quizzes.

A good primer on formative and summative assessment criteria and the differences between both.

I learned about summative assesment, which is a term that I am not famlier with. Summative assesment is an assesment that is conducted at a particular point in time. 

Using summative assessments will help measure students learning and to establish a baseline.

Learning different assesment techniques is important in the teaching process. It allows instructors to get a sense on how their course is perfomring and how students are learning. It also helps to determine what knowledge students come to us with. 

There are 3 types of ways to assess: diagnostic summative and formative. Each has its use and place. Through summative assessments, students demonstrate their knowledge. Formative assessment is part of the instructional process. Diagnostic lets the instructor understand what the student brings to the classroom

Diagnostic, formative, summative, and evaluative assessments all play complimentary roles in serving the need to know what the student has and hasn't mastered.

Interesting distinction between evaluations and assessments.

I love this. I feel assessments helps a great deal in knowing how the student is learning and what they are actually obtaining from the information. I try to do this on a regular basis to see where my students are at with the materials as well as ask refresher questions. 

I hve developed an improved understanding of the ongoing assessment process, and the value it has in the overall learning process. 

Sign In to comment