Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Assessment is nothing more than doing a inventory of your presentations by using many methods. Be formative where there is a collection of students advancements. Summative is more overall evaluation.

I believe that in my program we could benefit from diagnostic assessments in the very begining of class. Many students come with very little computer skills for instance and knowing where they are when it comes to the basics to advanced would be very helpful. This, applied with some formative assessments during the course will definitely show us where the weak points may be while students are learning the different applications required for the course and would also help improve the summative assessments, in my opinion. 

I learned that assessment in an educational setting is a process that uses measurable terms in order to assess knowledge, attitudes, skills, and beliefs.

I will employ muddiest point. I am glad I learned about this assesment.

It shows just how important it is to always assess and re-assess the program to provide consistance improvement.

Formative and Summative assessment are very helpful, it is used as a learnng tool for both instructor and student. Facilitates the lesson planning, communicating with the student and giving proper feedback will result in improvements.

I've learned different methods of providing diagonostic assessments as well as as formative and summative assessments.

I really like the idea of a diagonstic assessment.  This will really help an instructor anticipate the learning styles of students.

I learned about the different types of formative assessments that can be used in an online learning platform such as pre-tests, 1-2-3, and muddiest tests. I learned about the purpose and benefit each of these may have for teaching and learning in an online learning setting.

Understanding the difference between assessment (formative) that can be done by teacher and students and evaluation (summative) that is done by the teacher then using this information to make sure the students have gain the knowledge needed to successfully continue.  

I have learned the different types of assessment used to evaluate not only the students' learning but the course its self. If the course material is provided in a way that is aiding the student learning process. I can use assessments to see if the material has been successfully learned by the students. 

Esch course requires multiple assessments to effectively evaluate competency with mastering the outcomes. The goal is determining what is really needed a to 'fit' with assessing that learning.  Formative assessments is a solid tool in which to provide authentic feedback to enhance the level of the learning and with processing the key concepts. It is about striking a balance for both the educator and the student.

Always use some form of diagnostic assessment based on the timeframe and content.  This not only provide critical infor mation about building foundation for the course but the level of individuals' knowledge base about the subject.

Assessment should guide the instruction and the content objectives should guide the type of assessment. 

I had not heard of the "muddiest point" or "1, 2, 3 - List".  They were interesting concepts.  I might be able to to utilize them after intially teaching the concepts.  Students do not come into the program with any foundation.  However, there are times when the skills build on prior knowledge and these two techniques may be useful.

Assessment aligned with objectives and outcomes is used both to gauge student success and to evaluate the course for effectiveness and completeness. It measures both student and instructor success. Assessment may be formative, conducted while the course progresses, or summative, taking place at the end of the course. In addition to standard quizzess, reports and projects, formative assessments may be conducted using quizzes, the 1-2-3, or muddiest point methods. Summative assessment is typically a final exam and can be used to determine re-design needs for the course as well as proving student success. Assessment must always be aligned with objectives at the correct level of learning identified in a standard taxonomy, such as Bloom's. 

This module was very interesting to me. I worked at a school where we would give them an assessment to see how much they knew about the Medical Assistant Program. By doing the assessment some students after taking it decided that this was not for them and they were able to move on to a different program. Now I know that there are different kinds of tools that can be used to see where the student will be at on his new journey. 

Think-Pair- Share, according to my experience, is considered the best foundiation for group work. I always adopt this technique in my courses!

I didn't know there was a real difference between assessment and evaluation.

Muddiest and 1-2-3 diagnostic testing is something I have always done but did not know the it had a name other than diagnostic testing. This section did a good job at explaining formative and summative testing.

Sign In to comment