Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

What I have learned from this module is that all formative assessments do not have to be tied to a grade. Formative assessments can be used at the end of a content to check for understanding in a quick but formal manner. Examples are exit permit, minute paper, and think-share-pair. Additionally, evaluations are appropriate at the end of a project or unit and should be used to collect data on mastery of standard. Last, I plan to continue using formal assessments to check for understanding periodically throughout a unit. This will allow me to make adjustments in lesson delivery whenever necessary; to ensure that students are understanding and mastering the curriculum.

A lot of evaluations take place in assesments with hand on progressa in 

CTE  classes and it is an on going process, How is your teaching working , are they getting it and what could you do better

It is critical to be able to distinguish between formative and summative assessments for proper placement in the course curriculum.

It is good practice to understand the differences and nuances of assessments and evaluations. One idea that I liked was the pre-course diagnostic evaluation to see where the students are prior to the class beginning. 

This module painted a more clear picture to me of the difference between assessment (formative & process-oriented) vs evaluation (summative & product-oriented).  In a previous educational setting, it was a requirement of the institution to complete a pre-test/post-test for each course.  I didn't realize at the time that this was a diagnostic assessment, nor did the institution explain well how to use the information to develop curriculum based on the feedback gained from the assessment.  I appreciated the easy, formative assessments that could be incorporated and wouldn't have to be grade-based.  I also found the table that related Bloom's Revised Taxonomy to type of assessment to be a great resource.

This module taught us the different typyes of assessments; diagnostic, formative and summative.  Diagnostic assessments help us as instructors to make any changes that may beed to be made within the class to achieve learning outcomes.  

I learned the difference between diagnostic and formative assessment. I had always thought of diagnostics being formative, but I see now that they are simply to see where students are at before study begins and that formative assessment is to see what they're understanding and not understanding while learning that material. 

There is a distince difference between assessmsnt and evaluation.  A detailed addessment will guide the student in a specific manner, while an evaluation the sum of accumulative assignments.

I had no idea the difference between assessment and evaluation. It is great knowledge to have as I create my course and move on to implementation. 

I learned a lot in this course especially Diagnostic assessment is when its used to clarify the students' prior knowledge.  Which is a tool I will use to better help/guide my students and also get to know them.

Ninive Martin Del Campo

As I just started my first class I already see the importance of diagnostic evaluation. I will do some assessing in tommorows class

I learned that assessments are process-oriented and evaluations are product-oriented. I think in the first you are evaluating the class and in the second you are evaluating the student. I think that the various types of diagnostic assessments -- muddiest point and 1-2-3 list -- are best for self-paced classes where students learn independently. I think this because students come into the classroom with different things they know and don't know and trying to figure out where to focus attention for a large class would be much harder to do using these assessments because of the plethora of answers you would receive. 

Nancy Tosh

The three forms of evaluation detailed here are imperative to helping students achieve the desired outcome. With Diagnostic assessment the student's current knowledge is evaluated, formative assessment tracks the student as their knowledge increases, and summative concludes the process with the final assessment of the cumulative knowledge acquired.

I believe, as teachers, we are most used to giving summative assessments which don't tell us how the student is progressing each day. 

From experience,I have found the importance of developing assessment points throughout the course. That allows me to check the progress  at the same points for all students. Important for those who have required absences do to deployments or company travel. 

I have not thought of doing a pre test or pre learning assessment. I like the muddiest water example.

Summative assessment is an assessment performed at a particular point in time.

To Whom It May Concern,

I have learned a lot of the various different learning formats that are availbale for the students and faculties.

David

We need to evaluate students consistently

I think a survey as a formative assessment would work well in an online course. 

Sign In to comment