Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I found the section on the different types of poor-performing students very interesting.  I've encountered each of those types in an in-person course.  Most of the content has been fairly intuitive, but I did take notes on that section.  I especially liked the suggested ways of responding to each student type.

Matt Wilkerson

I learned about the different types of learners. I believe I have quiet learners and procrastinators. I learned how to use strategies for both types of learners. I intend to make contact with learners who are not turning in assignments and try to find out what wrong. I also intend to send reminders of important dates.

Every student is a fingerprint all the same but an indidividual one needs to learn how to reach them without interrupting the flow of information they will need to sucessfully completeing the assignments by assuring them that I am there to guide them and help them achieve the goal

I learned about some of the different types of students and how to get them engaged in learning

Communications is everything.  It's especially important to use with those that are not putting themselves out there.  With all types of students, sending them an email lets them know you see what they are or are not doing.  It keeps you present.

I learned some ways of dealing with conflict in an online course. Also, I need to remember some students are busy and easily overwhelmed. I think, no, I'm sure, this class has helped. I would recommend it.

I learned some techniques for managing difficult students.

In my years of educational instruction I believe I have had all of these learning types, some at the same time. I believe one way of earning their valuable input and trust is to set the parameters on day one- start tough and work backwards to a happy medium. The nice to tough just doesn't work out. I also think in this module that weekly progress emails will be something I incorporate with my online engagement. Also, sorting folders for replies by type or student will help navigate each issue. 

This section provided valuable information on how to address different types of students in an online setting. It also provided useful information about records management which are critical for online courses.

Good and continued communication is important to help your online students succeed.

I've learned that it may take extra effort on my part to assist and identify students that are struggling with the on-line course.

Closer attention to student participation is essesential. And staying ahead of the group watching for problems and issues that could cause a student to drop the course.

Reply to Holly Voss's post: I learned that are students that like to challenge the system and others that feel intimidated by computer technology the might find computer sofware difficult to fix and they get overwelmed and they feel discouraged and they are probably planning to drop the course rather than seeking for help. We need to identify these students by supporting them to find the right solutions.

Hi

It is very important to keep one eye on professional content and the other eye on student behavior, student conflict management and making sure that students are not alienated in the course.

Regards

Dr Ajmal

One thing that has been helpful to me is not only asking a lot of questions about different systems but also make sure you have the answers to help students when problems may happen. 

Take each student's challenges on a case-by-case basis.  Each of their situations is unique.

Student procrastination occurs quite frequently, especially if the material is something that is outside their core education. Frequent communication with the students can assist in overcoming the procrastination.

Document(!) and Organize ....from the beginning of the course. Maintain a system to easily access all communication.

Communication is key to any endeavor!

I learnt some tips to maintain the right level of communication with my class and be able to face some conflicts if any.

I have been very blessed to be able to keep my students close in conversations that are relevant to our discussions. My students are very well focused and engaged in all learning aspects. I do have shy sudents but able to pull them out of their shells. We all overcome challenges together. 

Sign In to comment