Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I learned about the different types of learners I will encounter online and how to properly communicate with each of them. Making sure to keep the lines of communication open. 

I learned about the different behavior traits of leaners that include the noisy learner, quite learners, disruptive learners, procrastinators, and those who are intimidators.  Given the multitude of different personalities in the classroom the potential for conflict is present.  The module points out the need to address and defuse the conflict as soon as possible so it does not escalate into a bigger situation.  The module also covered the many reasons learners no longer continue in the online environment, which are things all instructors must keep an eye out for to help prevent attrition as well as assisting the students succeed in the classroom.

In an online environment, procrastination can happen more frequently, just for the sheer fact that students are not expected to show up at class at a certain time and they don't necessarily feel the pressure of knowing their instructor and fellow students face to face

Email is more likely to be effective for e-learning communication as opposed to phone calls

For this session: I learned about attrition and reasons why students dropped or cancel.  Its very important that new students has an orientation one week before they join the course.  In my experience student tend to get overwhelmed and frustrated specially if they dont know how or not able  to access their course on their first day.  

One of the most important things in online tutoring in a virtual classroom is to be sure that every student participates in the lesson. Encourage students to ask questions and to answer each other. Include various teamwork projects and divide the students into groups working in different breakout rooms.

This module taught me about behavioral traits inherent to the student personal profile.  That we might get the noisy, quiet, disruptive, intimidators, and proscatinators.  This module gave good practices on how to deal with all these behavioral traits. 

This module 4 was very interesting with very good tips and information. I learned and did previously believe that the Online instructor plays a very important role in student learning. Instructors should do all they can in attrition management of the course. However, alll does not include reducing course quality and intregrity

Reply to Tina Beale's post:

You are right on target Tina in that constant and effectice and consistent communication is very important in any Online class.

Managing the online enviornment can be more challenging than managing a traditional classroom in the fact that literally everything you do is written down in an email, text transcript,video recording, discussion board, assignment feedback. It can be scrutinized and needs to be professional, direct but empathetic, firm but sensitive. Never responsd to a student with a negative emotional response, as this is a documented conversation. That being said, because we do interact with students in a written manner, keeping records, emails, assignments etc if an issue arises is a smart idea. Just like documentating a patient assessment is imperative for the nurse, as is documenting in the online classroom setting. 

Record-keeping systems are so important when teaching online classes. 

Attrition can be caused by various factors. Instructors will need to be supportive of the e-learner and have strategies to counteract those factors when identified. Reminding students of available technical assistance and offering time management tips in relation to the level of commitment for the course. This type of support could potentially reduce the level of  attrition. Application of frequent communication and sharing of interventions with e- learners is definitely a great strategy moving forward. 

E learning requires the instructor to spend more time to prepare than with traditional learning.  Promoting participation in asynchronous discussions is important for critical course information.  it is useful to have so many ways to improve on this.  

You should create a file that is readily available retaining to e-mail and chat room disscussions with students. I need to know when conflicts arise online and how to properly engage students in resolving the issues.  

I have had experience as an online instructor for a few years now. Many students have competing responsiblities (e.g., family, job) that don't allow them the time to complete assignments and exams (assessments) on time.

Being vigilant to those students who are out of line and being able to approuch them in an appropriate way and documenting everything correctly.

Some criteria for classifying personal e-mail messages are:

• Confidential.
  • Public.
  • Urgent.
  • Junk.

Treat all personal e-mail messages with the degree of confidentiality they deserve.

• Remind learners to review the questions and answers in the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) area before they post their questions in the designated common area.
  • Ask learners to wait for at least 24 hours. If by that time they have not received a satisfactory answer to their question from other learners, they should forward the question to you.

Thinking of attrition as something I can help with as an instructor is very intersting.  Excessive workload being one of the top reasons of attrition is a real eye opener! 

I should be mindful of possible technical and personal issues, and reach out to students who may be struggling

This module presented valualbe information regarding proper and effective communication with students.  The importance of record keeping and how to counsel via email.  The suggestions for how to handle the different types of learners was helpful.  It was good to hear ways to reduce attrition.  I will be using the ideas for record keeping.  Very good and helpful module.

Sign In to comment