Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I learned how to respond to students who are seeming to test the boundaries of instructor authority by trying to intimidate to achieve a higher grade.

I agree with the first statement in the module: An effective way of managing student data is effective recordkeeping. Ensure privacy is very important. We must follow FERPA laws. In my educational experiences, I have found that keeping student communications is very important, both from students and my responses to them. Document phone calls, archive emails, and maintain other forms of communications as a way to manage conflict and provide documentation of your interventions and communication.

Attrition Management is one I worry about often.  Especially if a student feels alienated, and I am unaware they feel that way until it too late.  Sometimes they do not participate openly in a synchronous environment, but asynchronously they do great.  How do we judge then?

I learned that their are different learning types, and communication is key.

It is important to maintain lines of communication open with the elearner.

Its important to keep the students engaged to elimimate alienantion and drop out

It is better to understand instutional policies as they apply to e-learners. Understanding the different type of students and managing the online environemnet is essential to avoid conflicts and disruptive behaviours in online course.

Unfortunately some students may get disruptive to the point that it disrupts the learning of the other students. Keeping these types of disruptions is imperative and this is done by following the policy/procedure conduct manuals.   

I learned about the different learning types. I have not yet seen the "Intimidator" type as a student. Perhaps what is just as important is how to elicit responses from "depdendent" and the quiet ones. Lastly, I learned how to keep the surfing and meandering students back on track. 

The section on counseling is highly important because students will come to the instructor with all manner of problems, from personal to technical. It is important to set expectations, such as 24 hr turn around (not immediate), confidentiality, and escalation if necessary. 

We need to organize all communication methods with students. We need to be caring and fair.

I've learned in this module how to keep good records to reduce disorganization, communicating with students, and resolving student conflicts.  I'll be sure to read the policies and procedures through my company to ensure I know all the do's and dont's.

I learned in this topic that an extra effort needs to be given in learning who your students are individually, in an online learning environment. I have definitly learned some sratigaties on how to indentify different personalities, this will help ensure student atrition and success by ensuring student envolvement.  

Personality and learning styles also applies to the remote learning environment. 

knowing the signs of student in risk and handling conflict when arises

keeping record of things is very important. This course gave me understanding and to have open communication with the students given the fact that they may lead to dropped course

The "Managing the E-Learning Environment" module had useful lessons and advice on how to handle situations that we may come across in an online classroom.  There are some unique situations that may pop up in an online classroom, such as knowing when to use different tools (individual chat, group chat, public forum, email), considerations for students with competing responsibilities, and helping students to resolve alienation and/or technical issues.

Conducting an online course has it's challenges, but with quick recognition of any conflicts, a method of regressing such issues can be implemented with appropriate documentation and measures to contain ongoing conflict in obtaining quicker resolutions.

The effective communications is one of the most important aspects in achieving good academic results.

I learned that there are behavior issues in online classes as well as in person classes. There are types of learners that an instructor needs to be prepared to deal with.

The ability of students to be proactive instead of reactive is not a given, but one that needs to be taught through reminders and repetition. The introduction of a hybrid model where mandatory synchronous attendance is required (in addition to asynchronous interaction with the instructor and their peers) may or may not help with our Quiet or Procrastinating students -- time will tell.

Sign In to comment