Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Different students have different syles of learning. I certainly identified with avoidance because that seemed to be what half of my students exibited during the online learning at the end of the school year. 

I learned the importance of engaging e-learners through asynchronous and synchronous discussions and recognizing and understanding the differences in learning styles in what to look for in each student.

Asynchronous discussions should be used more than synchronous discussions, synchronous discussions are better with individuals or small groups, instructor feedback and encouragement helps keep students motivated and involved.

This module was great at helping me to understand the difference between asynchronous and synchronous discussions and when is an appropriate time to engage in them with my students. 

The information regarding hwo to handle asynchronous vice synchronous discussions was valuable.

Definitely splitting the students in groups of 5 or 6 for discussions has been very helpful over the past six months. It did give everyone the opportunity to participate, and avoid having them to speak in front of the entire class.

Having prompt feedback within a timely basis helps reiterate the non-verbal cues we use within the classroom to encourage more participation through online platforms.

I feel this will be the most difficult portion of online learning.  Getting all students involved with their thoughts and ideas and sharing what they have learned.  In an asynchronous system students will be able to view peer statements and simply copy or reword those in order to maintain participation deadlines.

Learning about synchronous and asynchronous meetings/discussion, and which one to use at different scenarios. I will be utilizing both since I do live lessons with my studentsz

Engaging learners is critical to the success of the online course.

This module was helpful in giving us examples of asychronous vs synchronous classroom settings and how to manage and facilitate both.  I agree that giving quick, positive feedback will be the key in keeping students engaged and eager to participate in the next lesson.  

I like to start off the discussion before any student has replied. Then when I reply to a student's post, I like to add questions for the student to respond to if applicable. This helps to keep the discussion going and to show that I am there for them and that their thoughts and responses add value to the discussion. After the week is over, then I like to summarize key components of the discussion topic.

The main take away is to group students into smaller groups when doing synchronous meetings, a review of reasons why a student may not participate and how to get them to participate.

I found the 3 learning styles that we discussed to be informative information.  I was unfamiliar with them.  I will try to have the students avoid these learning styles.

I learned that smaller groups should be used to check for and reach understanding.

This module provided a lot of beneficial information on how to use asynchronous discussion effectively. It also clealry explained the value of this method in an online learning environment. This type of communication is tricky versus a traditional classroom format because in communication, we cannot see nonverbal communication such as facial expressions, tone of voice, etc. Having a clear netiquette policy in place is vital to ensure that this technique is used appropriately. This method is challenging for me because I have never received much value from it myself as an online student. I think it can go either way depending on how it is set up and managed.

I've learned that asynchronous meeting is used when you want everyone views and opinions on content presented.  Then the opposite for synchronous for those students who don't voice their opinions or views. During asynchronous projects, students of five or six groups are engage in the conversation with questions to encourage more intellectural conversations.  Always have synchronous times with students who want clarity on items that don't quite understand.  Always write short sentences, and questions prepared before sessions.  Talk with students about netiquett among their peers.  Remember to always have sessions 30 minutes before going to the next content, but always end the session with my concise and accurate answers on a topic. 

Mary, 

Can you commend on the names of the learning styles and their functions?  Just asking to provoke more learning among us.

I learned what the difference between syncronous and asynchronous discussions are.  I did not know this prior to this class, even though I have taken online college classes.  This made me think back about my classes and dicussions online.  It is true, it allows the asynchronous disccussions to be more thought out when posting and responding.  Synchronous tends to alienate certain introverted students.

Learning the difference between synchronous and asynchronous. Students in a one on one setting can utilize asynchronous and synchronous is more essential in large group settings of less than 40 students

Sign In to comment