Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Engaging learners in an online forum requires constant communication and a variety of learning exercises. 

There is a lot of thought that goes into preparing and initiating sessions. I see myself creating a checklist drawn from this course to help me prepare fir my courses. 

I learned how to effectively manage synchronous and asynchronous discussion . I also learned the best way on how and when to give feedbacks to learners. 

Encouraging on-going participation with asynchronous discussions has been a challenge for me in the past. Finding incentives and keeping formatting clear and to the point might help.

I've learned that synchronous discussions can be best managed by setting a convenient time and duration for learners that may be geographically disbursed, setting a time for socializing at the beginning and end, breaking topics into shorter segments to allow  participation and formulate responses, and limiting the sessions to five or six participants. 

Asynchronous and Synchronous content can be beneficial for students, providing different means of delivering content to students and engaging them.

The difference between asynchronous and synchronous meetings and the inportance of building confidence and motivation through constructive feedback.

I learned that we need to be careful in our comments and make sure the students have enough information to be confident to discuss the topic. Keep it moving and be prepared to infuse new information if the discussion starts to lag.

I find the different types of learning styles to be interesting and can apply that to in classroom learning as well. I also liked the emphasis on compensating for non-verbal cues when teaching online, something that is sometimes overlooked.

I appreciated the information about online learning styles, and see the need for identifying the avoidant, competitive, and dependent learners. What I am still wondering is how to engage the avoidant student, but one-on-one synchronous chat early on might help. I will try to use more emoticons and colors and engaging visual and audio additions in my asynchronous lessons.

It is important to give moral support when teaching online.

Asynchronous discussions are more effective to the online lerning enviroment than synchronous discussions.  Students will likely be more delibrate and detailed in their written contributions, by incorporating asynchrouous discussions into the e-learning platform.

Givng regular feedback that fosters confence in students is essentail. 

While online we should provide students with feedback, and also allow students to have discussions 

with their peers. The methods of asynchronous and synchronous explains some of the student

behavior while using online courses. Personally I have never thought that much about the differences.

I will now.

Constructive criticism is necessary when providing feedback.

I was surprised to learn critical content should be covered asynchronously. As I think about it, this makes sense. But it was not my first way of thinking about it which tells me I am very biased toward synchronous conversation. 

I like the netiquette rules to set the tone for online discussions and feedback.  I will also be seeking feedback on a regular basis to ensure students are getting what they need to be successful in the class.  Our school system uses Microsoft so I will create a "quiz" and post it in our Teams classroom to elicit student feedback.

Reply to Patricia Van Tine's post:

I agree with you on this.  It is not just the students who will need supports and ideas and to receive it in a constructive ways.  Online (written communication) can be so tricky!

I think the Information about asynchronus and synchronous was very good and something I never thought about in those terms. 

The difference between asynchronous and synchronouse is extremely important. Also, knowing when they are most effective. 

Sign In to comment