Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I learned about the two types of meetings. Establishing proper guidelines for both of these meetings is crucial in the success of your online classroom.

I appreciated learning about the different learning styles as I have seen these demonstrated in the online and in-person environment.  Valuable to understand that these are learning styles and not simply personality traits.  I must shift my thinking from the synchronous to asynchronous style of teaching and interacting.  This content is helpful in understanding and applying the value of asynchronous methods.

Different learning styles means different strategies needed for assessing levels of learning. Students may be engaged by the discussion post aspect, however, some will not read and can undermine the process. 

It is amazing how the learning style(s) of a student really doesn't change while online. We just have to incorporate numerous instructional strategies to accommodate them online. 

I've learned that online teaching requires more planning and preparation than face-to-face in order to compensate for the lack of face to face expressions, differenot styles and to help facilitate asynchronous participation.

The differences between the two types of instruction, synchronous and asynchronous. I have found that synchronous may not always be the the best kind, especially for larger groups of students. I also discovered that providing clear expectations for discussions is very important.

Great information on asynchronous and synchronous learning.  We must make sure we are providing synchronous learning in small groups rathter than the entire class at one.

Our school system expects us to provide some form of direct instruction in the first half of a scheduled class period, followed by a monitored time period during which students engage the material. ISTM that an asynchronous discussion format is best suited to this framework, as some students might have to participate at a later time. Obviously that's not what I will do every day, but maybe it's a good tool either to introduce the weeks work, or to summarize it.

Communication is key with asynchronous learning. I need to ensure each student is participating, give meaningful and encouraging feedback and provide constructive criticism, if necessary.

We can compensate for non-verbal communication that is lost through on-line instruction by using color, bolding and underlining in our postings. 

Educators,  I really stuck in understanding the differences in asynchronous and synchronous.  To engage my understanding, please make it as elementary as you possibly can?

Thank a bunch!

Participation in asynchronous discussions can take place over a longer period of time, where as synchronous discussions are probably best done in a Nearpod collaboration board. Feedback can then be given by classmates and/or the teacher.

There are disadvantages when using synchronous discussions when teaching a class.  You should always analyze; summarize individual student engagment.  Avoidant students can possibly be overwhelmed by or not intrested in learning the course material.

I have learned the qualities of feedback and the difference between asynchronous and synchronous discussions.

I learned the difference between asychonus and sycronus. I learned ways to provide feedback.

Synchronous discussion can be very hard to do online, and the teacher should limit the size of groups being involved in discussions.

The very fact that my students are not in a classroom, but rather scattered across the country, and even the world, suggests that synchronous learning is ineffective.  Rather, asynchronous learning should be used.  This means employing other techniques and strategies to deliver content and provide feedback to students.  In the physical classroom setting, for example, I was used to hearing students laugh at my jokes.  Now, I have to just trust that someone found my material to be funny.  That challenge is also shared with my students.  Therefore, I take advantage of my talking head in the video class sessions to make the right amount of facial contortions and to vary the tone of my voice.  When grading assignments, I understand that how I word my feedback is important so that I convey the right message.  This can mean encouraging or discouraging certain practices from my students.  With this feedback comes the tact necessary to get the right message across to the student, whether or not that individual knows my sense of humor, while also provding remarks that avoid reading too much like cookie-cutter responses.

As a faculty who has taught online classes before I have had asynchronous interactions with students mostly through Discussion Boards and Google+ Communities.  In my rubrics, I have included points for a student to read posts of other students and pick 2 or 3 of their classmates to respond to.  I have used synchronous class time for informal chats and Q and A sessions.  Sometimes I have used for group presetnations.

For #4I was debating between (a) and (d)

Asynchronous and synchronous is interesting, learned to Prevent the discussion from rambling into too many directions by narrowing down the topics. Maintain the focus of the discussion on topic as the Students expect me to keep the discussions on the subject. 

Sign In to comment