Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

New information acquired include the difference between asynchronous and synchronous discussions and how feedback is supposed to be provided to students .

Being able to have synchronous and asynchronous discussions and meetings helps keeps students engaged to participation and learning. It also keeps the communication open so that students feel involved andit sometimes helps them from being discouraged to falling behind.

By getting students to participate in both  and asynchronous discussions to make sure they are understanding the material and providing good feedback to them on the material covered.

There are different learning styles and students may have more than one learning style.

The difference between synchronous and asynchronous discussion, as well as the types of students. 

The lesson I have learned is that there is an increase of preparation time required for things to go smoothly in class.This has to be attributed to the lack of facial impression or body language shown in that format. The participation of students through questions being  both asked and/or  answered may be the only way known whether or not the material is being clearly understood. 

Teacher feedback should be timely for students.  It ensures that students remain engaged with the course and understand what they are doing is meaningful.

The importance of student interaction through a discussion board and its promotion of student engagement.

I learned the difference between synchronus and asynchronous discussions. One thing that I will start implementing is more asynchronous and synchronous discussion boards so that the whole class can learn from questions asked. 

An important point was not to use constructive criticism. Only encouraging feedback should be used. 

This module taught me the differences between asynchronous and synchronous discussions. Asynchronous is more or so what I would use as an instructor because it doesn’t happen at the same moment. So many students can post to a forum and still read other students posts.   But if I did see any students struggling I would do a separate synchronous discussion because it may be more effective for them and easier to focus.

Keep the students active and engaged. Feed back should be positive and encouraging, not critical if we want the students to be motivated to participate.

Enhanced understanding of asynchronous discussions and how to better utilize them. Feedback, one on one discussions, and commenting on others posts will be used to foster student communication.

The comparisons of the merites of Synchronous and Asynchronous Discussions  was a real eye-opener for me (EL102, Module 3).

I've used some asynchronous discussions in the past in my OG (On Ground) courses, but most of them don't have any of these in the course any more -- a major difference between the Online and the OnGround. Now that our OG are Remote Synchronous, I have to consider what to do about discussions. We meet for five hours at a time (everyone is in the same time zone) but I can see the value of having the ASynchronous Discussion. But I cannot, I believe, add it as a graded object in my Canvas course. I will have to mull over how to help my students participate more. LBeegle

I learned some really good guidelines for Asynchronous Discussions that I had use but realized I need to make sure I place more emphasis on the guidelines and expectations. I also learned about 3 specific learning styles. 

One way I plan to implement online learning is through allowing for both synchronous and asynchronous discussions and provide timely positive feed back, while being conscious of how I provide critiques for my students.

I have learned that there we should consider the various types of leaners and accomodate accordingly.

V, BARKSDALE

Synchronous discussions should be short.  I will allow both types to create more effective learning,

I appreciated the suggestions for asynchronous and synchronous discussions. Asynchronous is done with the whole group, offering time for students to submit their responses and benefit from the thinking of their peers, while synchronous is more appropriate for smaller groups or individual students.

A deeper understanding of synchronous and asynchronous meetings was helpful to understanding how to set up future interactions with students.  I learned that students who might normally not participate in class discussions might find this enviornment safer and easier to have their input considered and heard.

Sign In to comment