Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The difference between asynchronous discussion; discussions thst happen at different moments and takes place over a periodof time, versus synchronous discussions that are real time and are known as chat sessions. I will continue to use different learning styles for all of my students as one student can have more than one learning style. Through an effective feedback technique my students will be able to participate with confidence and a motivation to learn.

Lerning that the teacher is the main artery. 
I'm learning communication skills that will support the learners.
Feedback is an essential part of learning, be as specific as possible.

In oline classes, asynchronous are preferred to allow for students with different schedules and in different time zones.  However, it is important to control and direct the discussin threads to allow for varied student learning styles.

I think learning when and how to use synchronous and asynchronous discussions will enhance setting expectations for student involvement and enhance students learning content. 

I have learned that it is best to do video chats in small groups to help students participate online. Be mindful of your students' schedules when planing. Also, allow them to have time to chat with students socially. 

You want to encourage participation by thoughtful, constructive feedback.

I learned the difference between synchronoud and asychnrounous discussisons and how to best employ these tools. 

Timely feedabck is essential to encourage elearners and have them stay engaged

Utilizing all your communication skills is essential for effectivness.  Engaging with the students, keeping them focused with participation on the different discusions, maintaining all avenues of communication open, email the student if there is a concern keeping them informed and updated on any and all changes to the courses is also important.

Encourage students to participate and be enthusiastic, boost confidance

I have used asynchronous meetings almost exclusively since my students go online at various times.  It never occured to me that this method worked well for those who might be somewhat shy about speaking up in a 'live' setting!  It does prove to be a challenge to manage my response time, so I review their posts throughout the day. I use personal e-mails to encourage some folks if it looks like they are 'slow' to respond, but I know these folks are usually parents or working double shifts, and I try hard to make it easier for them to keep up.

I love the use of discussion boards. I'm currently teaching a Windows Server 2016 course, which is pretty dry. I sometimes throw in discussions not always related to servers to keep them engaged. I also keep sychronous office hours though a daily Zoom meeting which students are free to log in and out of as they want. Sometimes they log in to ask about course material, sometimes it's just to chat.

Providing feedback in a timely manner is perhaps the best way to keep students engaged.  We've all had online instructors who failed to grade papers, respond to discussion items, etc. and then at the end of the course you find there were areas you could have improved.

I now see how to adequately implement synchronous and asynchronous meetings in my e-learning courses. I do believe that the synchonous meetings will be done over video-chat (Zoom or Google Meets). I think it would be easier to conduct it through video chat rather then typing and reading discussions. 

Asynchronous discussions are best for more complex and important course material/concepts. Synchronous discussions discourage participation from shy learners, slow readers and typers, etc. You're liklier to experience greater participation with asynchronous discussions. I'd probably utilize discussion boards with a required number of characters and several points of fact to be covered a couple to a few times weekly.

Asynchronous discussions are more effective in conveying important and essential information. Synchronous discussions can deter participation by learners who are slow readers and/or typers. I'm sure I'd use asynchronous discussion boards at least twice weekly with a required number of characters and points of fact. I'd also require they reply to at least two other students' posts constructively

Utilizing synchronous works best with one student and to clarify.  I had no idea of that prior to this course

The information on asynchronous and synchronous discussions was  very good.  Also the ways to make both of these types of disscussions work in the classroom was of value.

Research has shown that Generation X students prefer texting to phone calls. Asynchrounous communication allows students to gather their thoughts and organize appropriate wording prior to responding. Online discussions allow students to gather a sense of other students tone and depth prior to responding.

Make comments weekly and students learn to ask/comment in scheduled time

Sign In to comment