Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

To engage my learners more effectively, I will need to strategize and plan my lessons so that it includes asynchronous and synchronous participation beneficially.  Learning the difference between these two types of engagement has helped me see how online learning, which lacks the exchange of the usual nonverbal cues as feedback, requires effective use of the standard synchronous methods, and more use on the asynchronous types of participation.

I learned that it is better to use asynchronous methods because it is more difficult to teach core concepts or new content using the "real-time" synchronous style. This eliminates the need to have all students in the learning space at the same time and lets students post and work at their own pace. Synchronous styles of learning are better suited for one-on-one situations with students, and videos enabled chat tools, like Zoom and Microsoft Teams, are a better option than a chat based system.

I learned synchronous should occur when dealing with one student at a time.

Control the pace of your text chat by maintaining a continual flow of information between you and the participants. Segment long responses and present one segment at a time. This way, participants will know that you are in the process of composing your reply to their questions

At first I was unsure about the vocabulary of asynchronous and synchronous terminology. I have learned that it is extremely important to communicate with the learners and to make sure that you are coming off the way that you intend to. Getting feedback about your interaction with the learners can help for you an the instructor to help with the evaluation of your teaching.

Maintaining an active forum board will reach and engage more students than dry lecture. be concise be timely, must important be real. if you don't know own it and then find the best answer.

Weekly review of how the content was understood, any questions or clarification they may have, and keeping constant communication.

I learned that synchronous online learning is intended to be short with a small group but considering the current pandemic has caused school closures and all teachers from k-12 grade to go to online learning it may difficult to keep sessions short and small.  Teachers will have to teach content in a synchronous manner to younger children becasue some do not have the ability to do it on their own or with the help of a parent.  Social learning is very important for younger students therefore finding the right mix between synchronous and asynchronous learning will be crucial.

I learned about the differences in asynchronous and synchronous discussions and how best to use each technique. It was enlightening to learn of the different learning styles and that most students are generally a blend of several. It was stressed that these learning styles should be identified early and modified as necessary for optimum learning.

Netiquette must be learned and taught! The manner in with we faciliate instruction has to be for the benefit of the class. Critical course content should be discussed in an asynchronous environment where everyone has an opportunity to review the course material and adequate time to think about a response to the teacher-directed question. The asynchronous discussion serves as a mechanism of reflection, critical thinking, and learning. Synchronous discussion is best one-on-one as it is in real time and may not be relevant to all learners. Instructor feedback should be encouraging and positively stated so to preserve the disgnity of our learners.  

It was interesing to see that syncronous teaching/learning is less desirable/effective than the asyncronous. When schools closed and we all went onlline, there were visions of lots of Live teaching going on. After just 3 such sessions, I saw that I wasn't going to be able to accomplish much in this manner. This unit reinforced my understanding and benefits of asyncronous online education.

Making sure that I am visible in the discussions and giving support to all students. 

I really enjoyed learning the different types of meetings. I also learned the different types of students we have in our classes, avoidant, competitive and dependent.

It is very important to gain the trust of students from day one. First impressions are very important.

Valuable information regarding asynchronous and synchronous discussions when managing discussions with learners.

I have taken numerous online courses in college. I see how the instruction was organized and the benefits for myself in the classroom. 

that to really hold a good discussion the asynchronous would insterest a larger class particapation, and also allow more student input. 

feedback should be encouraging and iniviting to the student....there will be a time difference when students are involved unlike in a normal classroom

keeping the students engaged will help the collaboration and interation in the class

One of the benefits of asynchronous discussions/meetings is that an introverted or shy person can participate fully and be heard while not having to deal real time with more competitive students.

Sign In to comment