Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Asychronous and synchronis discussions and management of those discussions will take consideration.

When engaging with students about their input into the discussions, use words and tones that build confidence instead of cutting a student down.

Asynchronous communication each have their place in an online learning environment. Synchronous should not be used for more than 5-6 students at one time, and should be very focused. Asynchronous has advantages including allowing students more time to think about and compose their responses, as well as in replying to classmates responses.

Encouraging discussion between students/instructor will make the class more successful.  Students want to feel a part of the process and by allowing discussion, you are giving them some ownership in their learning.

The most important lesson I learned in this module was the advantage of asynchronous meetings over synchronous.  Asynchronous provides a btter forum for all learners to be able to participate at their full capacity.

The use of both types of discussions is a good way to engage students differently.  I like the suggestion to use emoji's to emphasize tone.

Asynchronous communication is the way to go when it comes to feedback from course work. Synchronous communication should occur while the instructor is on a live camera platform such as Zoom or WebEx. 

It looks like electronic conversation is going to be key since there isn,t much face to face interaction .

It was interesting to learn that for introduction of big ideas, that a one-on-one conversation, or a recorded module, is the best way to do so. So often teachers try and conduct live class online, when really no student gets the attention that is needed in that format.

In this section I learned the difference between asyncronous and syncronous discussions. I also learned that timely feedback is extremely important in any online learning environment. It is the role of the instructor to continually respond to and/or initiate converstaions with students. 

It is not  recommended to use synchronous discussions to instruct important course content or to get for student understanding of the concept.  Also feedback should be timely when it comes on to on-line delivery. It is also importnat that the feedback be worded in a way to encourage participation, confidence and motivation.  Feedback should also be constructive criticism. 

Syncronious discussions are best for one on one discussions. It can be overwheling for a few or even all students to keep up. 

it is interesting to realize that the non-verbal can be replaced by emoticion and abbreviations that are commonly used in informal communications

I thought it was really useful to learn that no more than 30 minutes in the synchronous environment should be for critical course content. I am also going to be looking more closely at tools for interaction in the synchronous environment. 

I gained great understanding of asynchronous and synchronous discussion,and how to implement in an online class.

I've learned that asynchronous discussions are better than synchronous discussions. Although, asynchronous discussions may vary in nature, they encourage reflection, critical thinking, and more student involvement.  Also providing feedback on a timely basis, is essential to student learning and participation.

Taking into account student varying learning styles…I intend to apply all of the above.

Reply to Lawrence Bufalino's post:I couldn't agree more. My school is fairly insistent that we have at least 1 hour of virtual face-to-face lecture time per online class meeting. This information regarding asynchronous methodology will help to convince them that it is not in the students' best interest to treat distance learning the same as in-person education.

In this learning module, I learned what Asynchronous and Synchronous Discussions were and the pros and cons of both of them.  Learning styles were discussed as well which plays into the students way of learning and if they can learn and how fostering participation works.  Before I read this section, I believed that Synchronous Discussions was the better way to learn, however, my eyes have been opened to why Asynchonous Discussions are way better and have many strategies for all learning types.  I will most definately consider this in my online classroom first!

stay engaged, post and answer continuously

The difference between asynchronous and synchronous discussions, when to use them and not use them and some of the things that can inhibit them.  How to give feedback.

Sign In to comment