As with all learning, a personal approach is best. Providing a bio to the students and also looking for one from the student allows there to be an connection between the two. A bio also gives the student some sense of the instructor's depth of knowledge on teh subject matter.
I learned when and how to write a short biography and introduction to the students. In fact, I am teaching a hybrid course this term and I just did both of these for the new students that are starting tomorrow. I also learned tips about how to reply or engage students in telling about themselves.
Being an online teacher requires special training in the area of learning and the use of technological tools. Students must trust that their tutor has the ability to teach them.
I had the opportunity to learn about the instructor specifics in regard to online classes. How to be influential and also approachable to students and not seeming to take control over conversations in group forums. Being able to facilitate even in an online environment.
Sharing credentials, experience, and some info about yourself with the students helps to develop rapport, build trust, and earn respect
I will be putting all these techniques in place in a couple months! So excited to apply what I've learned.
I liked learning about how to project my experience and authority as a subject matter expert.
Building trust is important for an online course.
The importance of establishing your presence and authority froma distance. Getting to know the needs of your students. Mutual biographies to know each other.
Projecting your presence is less about establishing authority and more about making students comfortable enough to engage with you as their instructor and their peers to ensure maximized learning outcomes.
When the student posts their introduction and a little about themselves, it's important for the instructor to acknowledge and welcome them to the class. Perhaps the instructor might feel comfortable sharing a few details about themselves as well. This way, the student feels like a person and not a student number in the course.
Not only sharing our own biograaphy is crucial, but knowing some of the students as well, is also important.
Enjoy the names the students give me and learn some things about them
I like the idea of students posting their own biographies so I can get to know them better.
Very important to be relational with students,makes them feel comfortable and have a open and positive learning enviorment
Posting a brief Biography I believe is a great idea. Not only does it build the credential of the instructor, but also projects to the learners that the instructors are real, work/ed in the industry, and have formal education to teach the course.
This portion attempted to show the importance of creating a positive experience with students and that increases student learning and student success. I learned that I should take more of an opportunity to share information about myself such as experience, credentials, and education to have an interative method and create rapport with students.
I learned that asking the student to give you a biographical background can make a difference in getting to know the students that will create a relationship that will be helful to teach.
After 12 years of online teaching this is the most important, "establish and sustain a relationship of mutual trust, harmony, respect, and understanding among your students; to inspire new ideas from them, and to encourage creativity as you facilitate their learning." without the relationship you can never gain the trust of the student and they will not be able to help them with their learning.
it is very important to be relatable to your student, creat a one on one relationship