Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I learned how important it is to make youself available to your students and in turn get to know them even though they are online. My school is on MS Teams for online classes and we get to have that connection through video, and everyone seems to really like it. 

The instructor must project an online presence in the course and authority in the subject area.

Even though you are distant from your students you can still use tools like online bios, video bios, etc, to establish that connection with your students and begin the process of engaging them into your classroom. 

The instructor should provide a welcome letter with a short biography, this gives the students confidence that the instructor is knowledgeable in the subject matter.

One thing I found interesting was the creation of the relationship. In the classroom, students can see you, interact, and it is done in real time, but online students might (at least on some level) see themselves as the only ones in the class. Where they would be more understanding of you taking a moment or two to help someone in the physical class, it might seem like longer in the online environment. Creating that relationship can help them to know they aren't being ignored in those instances.

Adding a required student biography will help my self and the other students create a better understanding of everyone. 

I learned tips on how to engage and establish relationships with my students. This can be done through messages and discussion board posts.

I need to let my students know about myself so that they develop a sense of trust. Also, that I need to know more about them.

Being responsive to students

Get to know students backgrounds and make sure they know my experience 

It only makes logical sense to have the students know you and you know them, although I think some students may not want to post a biography of themselves to the entire class, just to the instructor might be best.   

Establishing authority and student/instuctor relationships. 

I learner that interaction with students.

The main thing is to try to connect to the students, seeing where they are coming from and what they want to learn to start a base learning level for them.

I learned techniques to be able to make connection with on line learner such as have them create a bio and I send them a bio as well.

I have learned how to project myself and be more present for my students. 

I learned about the importance of sharing your background with the students to build a better rapport.

Projecting a strong competent presence through various methods is important in an on line learning environment. This helps earn the students trust and keeps them comfortable in the learning process.

Letting the students know a little about myself might  help them in wanting to also post something about them self for others in the course. Knowing common intrest  

I learned about the importance of working to develop a realtionship with the students, which is very difficult for me when it comes to virtual classes.

Sign In to comment