Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

In the online classroom, I am able to project my presence by 

1). Sending out a welcome letter before the course begins

2). Making weekly course overview announcements (what to expect, due dates, my contact info)

3). Posting a biography including both proefssional and personal accomplishments. 

4). Be the first to post in the student lounge, encouraging further discussion.

5). Answer all questions on the Q&A board/email within 24 hours

6). Hold a synchronous teams meeting in the beginning, middle, and at the end of the course to interact with students in "real time"

7). Provide detail, formative feedback on each assignment

8). Actively engage in the discussion board 4-5 days per week to increase involvement and peer interaction

Adding a little biograph about the instructor let the student know of who the instructor is and by doing the same with the student, the class becomes a community and students could relate to each other interest/goals.

Students need to see teachers a real humans. We need to introduce ourself to develop relationships just as we would in face to face classrooms. Online classes are to influence, persuade, inspire and energize studetns just as face to face classes do. 

Establishing relationships promotes an enriched and meaningful learning experience for the e-learner. Effective e-learning communities are built upon trust, respect, and consideration.  Effective building strategies for the instructor includes identifying special needs of each student, considering time zone differences when posting assignments, and encouraging face toface meetings if feasible. These strategies will be used to formulate a postive learning environment so each student may have a dynamic learning experience.

Establishing an online presence is a major factor when it comes to e learning.  A quick trunaround time is needed for students to feel supported.  Clear communication is key with e learning.  

That you can build trust in your students by sharing your educational background with your professional experiences and achievements.

I have a biography and a current photo of myself uploaded. I make myself availabe daily to students - 7 days a week.

It was interesting learning classroom strategies to keep students engaged.  I found the suggestion to email schedule reminders one that I will begin to incorporate.  I do post a short bio of myself, but appreciated the suggestion of having the students provide a brief bio.  Knowing the student better will be beneficial with establishing  trust and a relationship with each student.

It is important to include my current classroom skills to my new online skills. It's important to show my authority in a positive way to build a positive relationship with my students

Online instructors must know how to influence, persuade, inspire, and energize their students just as would be done in a traditional classroom setting.

Increasing my understanding of my presence in the classroom beyond developing a relationship with students, and participating in asynchronous discussion board posts to more intentionally include a projection of authority is an area where I can grow. While I do believe that the quality of my interactions reflect the authority that I have in the content area, it is not always a given that students make this connection. I will revisit my bio and add text to the video as a starting point. 

I have been sensing it and working in this direction, however, the emphasis on identifying students at risk of falling behind or not understanding material early and reaching out to them proactively is a meaningful take-away from this section.

It seems simple and mabye even obvious..but having the students create a biography to be shared with other students is BRILLIANT!  Can't wait to add this to first day activities!  

I should always try to project myself as a supportive instructor, which will allow the students to feel secure by kowning I am available to help anytime. 

Establishing a presence, authority and a relationship is a fine balance.  This section highlighted the importance of respectfully and consistently establishing a regular connection with students through a variety of methods.

Specifically, using the paragaph introduction is a strategy that I plan to implement.  Highlighting credentials, professional expereinces and accomplishments, and sharing a few personal interests will support learners in making connection.

I have found a good way to connect with students is to incorperate my personal work experience as well as the students  with the course material and address student by their first name.   

I always post an introductory video so that students can get a feel for my personality in addition to a brief biography of my professional and academic experience.

Making the extra effort to present your knowlege and skills at the beginning, to give students the confidence that you are real and can help them get to their goals. Learning about the students to find their goals and any special needs, without breaking a trust with them. Having respect for them as individuals and their unique learning methods. 

Showing the students that you are a real person who is interested in their education.

I learned the importance of a biography, so tthe students know your educattional and expertisse.  

Sign In to comment