Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The significance of projecting our presence in the classroom allows opportunities for students to connect and relate to the Instructor. Thereby, increasing student engagement and learning experience.

Post a Bio about you as the instuctor and require one from the students.  Read them in a timely manner and get to know them by the end of week 1.  Send a message to each student by the end of week 1.

One aspect of the discussion board that I have struggled with is providing feedback in a timely manner. The 24-hour turn-around time is reasonable and I need to make this more of a priority.

I share my resume with students at the first session and ask them if they are interested to hear more about any of the experience that I briefly mentioned. 
They seem to enjoy this part of the class and engage in the discussion. They ask questions for the guidance in their profession based on my experiences.

Reply to Lori Swanson's post:That is so true Lori. I remember how it felt when an instructor included this welcome announcement when I was a student compared to those who didn't!

Reply to Larisa Crawley's post: I found it so helpful too. I always start my class with briefly showing the students my resume and they get excited and interested!

I have learhed how important is to enter a short biology of myseff NN HAVE ALL MY STUDENTS TO INSERT ONE. iNSERT A PHOTO OF MYSEFT.Make all assignment returned in a timely manner

As an instructor taking the time to lear about the students, identif their needs. Being able

to buil a relationship with the students with respect and trust.

In this section, it talked about ways to earn your online students respect and how important it is to project your presence and authorthiy online. One of the ways you could project your presence online is by having an area where each student could introduce themselves and give a short biography of themselves and you read them and respond to each student personally by the end of the class day. And one of the ways to project your authority online is to give a biography of your accomplishments, awards, education, experience, etc. It's very important that your presence is felt.

I know and understand this greatly. I did my Masters Degree online. The teachers that took the time to answer questions, give helpful feedback and communicate with myself and with the other students, the atmosphere was different from the teachers who just gave us a syllabus and we had to figure out what we were supposed to be doing and when. Not knowing made the classes harder and stressful.

In this section, I have learned how important it is to make a connections with my student, and how it is just as important for them to get to know me. I will definitely start incoorporating bios in my classes. 

The takeaways for this module include the need for the instructor to ‘project’ their presence since the interactions are different in the online environment. These include the need to lead and facilitate the discussions and ensure timely responses.  The weekly announcements and reminders are helpful ways to accomplish this in addition to regular participation in the various assignments and participation requirements.  I also think posting a good bio in the introduction board, or whatever the LMS calls the forum, that includes academic credential, professional credentials, as well as something on hobbies and other outside the classroom interests.  Finding common ground with the students at the beginning of the course is always helpful to establish a positive relationship.

Students need to have a sense that their instructor is engaged and accessible. 

Focus less on what I know (my credentials) and more on what I have done (how I have applied that knowledge in the field)

I learned you can assume anything on-line when developing relationships with your students.  Sharing yourself on ground is very differnet than sharing online.  

Posting a short biography of  an instructor is very important as well as  student posting a short biography of themselves on Day 1. This is a very good start on day 1 and also  post your expections from them and ask students what are their expections from you.

Developing positive and optimistic relationships is a worthwhile goal to have when establishing a presence. An effective educator communicates a genuine belief that all students are capable of growth and learning.

Relationship-building skills always begin with the critical skill of listening.

Getting to know students and their background are important.  Letting them know who you are is also important to project expectations throughout the classroom.  Setting up forums for coursework discussions and general discussion both  synchroniously and asynchronously are other ways to keep students motivated, engaged, and inspired during the course.

I have learned the importance of the instructor posting his/her biographical information

to establish for the students instructor compentence and experise

I have learned that in addition to the instructor postinh his/her bio it is also important for the students to post their bios. This way the instructor and other student csn get to know one another.

The introduction with a bio is a good idea so the student will have an idea of the instcritors exoperince and hobbies. 

Sign In to comment