Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I learned a nice strategy that I will implement, which is asking the student to post their bio as the first assignment.I think that would be a great way for me and the class to get to know one another. I would also ask them to read and comment on atleat one other person's bio if they share similar interest, bithdays or hobbies. 

It's important to be somewhat transparent with students so that they will feel comfortable with you. Teacher and students need to create a short biography so that they can get to know one  another and begin a safe teacher-student relationship.

I plan to beef up my bio with things that may be more relateable to my students (hobbies, outside interest, etc.)  Hopefully something will help in building those relationships that are helpful to the success of the class/student. 

I learned the importance of maintaining a presence by helping my students feel comfortable being secure online.  Provide a bio on myself of my educational skills, achievements, and hobbies. I would want to establish a good relationship with my online learners by having each student provide a brief bio of themselves and also having a discussion as to what their expectations are of me. 

In order for students to feel comfortable and trust the instructor in the online setting, the instructor needs to communicate information about the instructor's academic background, credentials, and experience. This helps students to develop a relationship with the instructor, the same way you would develop the student/teacher relationship in an actual classroom setting.

The idea of posting both a video and its print transcript (as common sense as it might seem!) struck me as a rather novel strategy. In the past, I only did one or the other. Definitely, I plan to adjust my method.

I liked the suggestion to contact students individually within the first week.  This may give them an opportunity to ask questions or address issues they are uncomfortable posting to the group.

Fostering good relationships with your students goes beyond face-to-face aspects within the classroom, but also through online presence as well.

I find it important to be able to relate with your students. This humanizes you and creates a more open atmosphere for learning.

Giving students the opportunity to post information about themselves, their hobbies and interests, their level of experience within your subject area, and reasons why they are taking your class can give you an insight as to their level of interest in our class.  Getting to know your students can make them feel more comfortable and connected in your class. 

Provide interactive opportunities for students to egage with you in a collaborative manner. Make sure that you stick to the subject and  keep the dialogue informative.

I feel it will be easy to represent myself as a person from behind a computer and have students do the same.  The anonymity of online courses allows students to let their defenses down.  Students today are engaged in social media such as Instagram and Snapchat.  They already follow netiquette online with their peer groups.  I think the key here is careful monitoring of communication to keep it within school standards.

Finding something in common with the students, sharing some personal experiences that they can relate to can be a good ice breaker in establishing a teacher-student rapport. It doesn't have to be super personal but maybe like a hobby like playing video games or the type of music you listen to or maybe a favorite movie, tv shows or food. I teach computer science and I enjoy playing video games and when I tell my students that I play, it immediately becomes a conversation. 

Projecting presence in the online classroom is important to establish authority.  This can be done by posting your professional and academic credentials.

Great. Very useable information. 

Asking the students to post their bio is a good way for the other students and you as the Instructor to make some personal connections with the student.

Sharing your bio will give students confidence in your competency for the courses you are providing instruction for.

First, I need to state my credentials and then introduce any hobbies and what not to relate to the students on a personal level. Here is an example of how I would do this:

Hello Class,

I am a computer programmer by trade, and have developed numerous computer programs ranging from simple web pages to a complete eco system for a doctor's office that covered every digital aspect of a doctor's private practice, but teaching is my real passion. There is nothing quite like the feeling I get when I see the light of recognition go off in the eyes of one of my students. In the case of online students, this would be virtual eyes. LOL! I learned to program computers in the late 1990’s and starting teaching shortly thereafter.

Personal Life:

Around the age of 13, I started developing a love for motorcycles. My first motorcycle was a dirt bike and when I turned 14, my dad bought me a dual sport motorcycle (one that can be ridden on and off road). Over the years I have owned many different motorcycles and I currently own two different bikes. I have a slightly modified Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14R that makes 208 RWHP (Rear Wheel Horsepower). I just ordered a turbo kit for the Ninja and it should be ready within 4-6 weeks  and I own an old school Honda SL100.

I also love to ride my bicycle. I try to ride it at least three times a week. I ride between 8 and 10 miles each time I ride. I believe that exercise is an important component in mental health—yes I said mental health. I believe that the body, mind and soul are connected in this triangle of life.

I also enjoy music. I like many different types of music, but my favorite is a relatively new genre of music called chill. It’s a cross between many different types of music so it’s really hard to explain, but it’s similar to progressive jazz. I also play the acoustic guitar and when I was much younger (my teenage years), I played in a local band. We played at school parties and we played for free!

I am married and have two young daughters ages 10 and 13.  I take the role of being a father very seriously. This is by far the most challenging endeavor of my life. It is so easy to let the weight of life effect how one treats their family, but I like to remind myself on a daily basis that being a good role model for my children will last longer that anything that I ever hope to accomplish.

Making sure students get a bio of myself and asking students to write a short bio. Create contact with each student within the first week and commenting on something they may have written in bio.

I liked the idea of the biography.  I can definitley utilize that in my classroom

Sign In to comment