Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

One of the challenges of distance is establishing relationships with my students without the usual face-to-face interactions. It is also important to project my presence and authority, which presents another challenge with distance learning.

I have learned about ways to show my authority to my students in a professional way that assures them and their parents that I am qualified and capable of teaching.

I learned teaching can be the same as face to face. I will aspire to inspire students by listening to the student. I will also have them do a biography of themselves to know each other. This kind of comaride will help engage the students in a social and educational evironment. 

While it is important to justify myself, I need to understand my students to help them as effectively as possible.

Though we may be separated from our students by distance, there is still a way to provide the personal touch to let them know they are not taking classes taught by a robot.  This is achieved through a combination of asserting authority and giving everyone a chance to know one another through their biographies.  These techniques help give the student more of a sense of a distance learning environment that is supportive.

Great Course.

CONNECTION AND CONNECTIVITY......e-learning are all about connecting with the students on a personal, educational, and professional level, and their seeking connectivity and connection with the faculty and classmates.  E-learning environment can be a LONELY place, so as an instructor it is our job to ensure that the CMS becomes a place of comfort and familiarity so that they can learn in the same fashion as if they were in a face-to-face classroom.

A quick biographical video is important to connect with the students. I'll develop a video and have it prepared for the start of the class session

The one-on-one relationships  with the students helps gain their trust, respect, and consideration  towards them  promoting an enriched, meaningful, and dynamic learning experience. 

One of the most effective ways to begin building an e-learning community is to ask students to post a short biography and the reason for them to choose the LVN career. 

this module was helpful to me as an instructor of how important it is to have individual contact and relationships with each student and how to engage in online relationships in a healthy manor and to keep them engaged in the course material and respect me as one who is in authority.MD,

To make introduction and have the syudents give you a bio of themself.

I have used the first discussion with my online courses to post a short bio of myself and asked my students to do the same. However, I did not think to ask all the bullet points outlined in this lesson. It is something I will consider in the future

While doing this aspect of the course, I've seen how important it is to build relationships with students and have been coming up with ideas of how to do this in the upcoming semester.

I will try to enocourage more of my students to post a short bio so I can connect better with them. I have my own bio posted and gradually learn about them by asking questions. However with the use of a bio a class relationship can be fostered more and individual attention can be enhanced.

I really like the idea of having the students do a Biography so I can get to know them better.

Do your homework to understand who your students are. Present yourself well, give a brief summary of your experience

I enjoyed the "Projecting Your Authority" section. It will be great to add this information into our Online Faculty Onboarding procedures.

Establishing authority by conveying to the students the depth of my experience is important. I have also found that most students dont care how much you know untill they know how much you care.

It is important to make your presence known in the online classroom.  This lets students know that you are as invested in them as they are in the course.  Providing timely feedback and answers assures students that you are therer.  Provide office hours for live conversation and other communications.  Post bios of yourself and allow student to do so so that everyone gets to know each other and forms a bond.

Students like to share specific information about themselves to help them feel part of the process of learning.

Sign In to comment