Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

This is what I've learned from the model.  The importance to project my presence and authority in e=learning are these:  I must make myself known to all students by sharing a short biography of my academics, qualiifications, achievements, and hobbies, and interests.  I must also allow students the same right on the first day and first week to share their story of themselves.  I must inform students of virtural office hours and be sensitive to those who live in different time zones.  I must also remind students of my expectations and give constructive and instructive feedback in order to keep the students engage.  I should consider the students feeling in whether to share the name of academics achievements across the platform.  I should always keep the students engage in lessons in order to keep my projecton of presence and authority.  

Reply to Marvin Jimenez's post:   I truly like your suggesition; I hope you don't mind if I use your idea.  Video my biography  sounds like a real dramatic skit coming up.

What I am taking away from this lesson in making myself presence online is this assuring the students know that I have their interest at heart in the success in learning as well as getting to know each students and the way they learn.  I will also write a biography but also present it in a dramatic way to show the diversity in learning styles.

Reply to Gloria Evans's post:  I love the idea of having the students have an expectation of their teacher.    

I learned that if everyone posts a Biography about themselves, it helps everyone understand were everyone stands in the class.

Even in a virtual environment, presence and relationship with each student is critical. Being online requires a bit more creativity as we lack the direct person-to-person time that we have in a traditional classroom. Students want to know who we are and it is meaningful and leads to engagement if we can also learn about them and express interest in them as individuals. I am pleased to see that many of the approaches recommended in this module are techniques that I have used in traditional classroom settings and will continue in the online format.

Instructors do not have to dominate the discussion in order to make our presence felt. 

It is important to be able to assert your authority but also be relational. 

I learned that our presence online is not that different from the classroom.  We need to establish relationships, boundaries, and guidlines to maintain and effective culture for learning.  We should set the example and the students should follow.

thw same rules apply the in class room experience as it dones in the online experience. Projecting your presence gives students the information they need to trust the professor is an expert in the field they are teaching. 

I have learned there are many ways to project your presence and authority using an online forum with students.  It is also equally important to get to know the students and their biographies so you can relate to them and establish trust in the classroom with each student. 

I learned the importance of creating positive relationships with students on the online platform. 

I agree that posting a bio and asking students to do the same is an excellent way to establish authority and to lay the groundwork for getting to know your students.  I plan to use this method whenever I begin teaching a new group of students.

Like face-to-face teaching, relationships play a vital roll.  Students need to know their instructor in order to build relationships and a positive classroom climate. 

Ensuring that we identify ways to personalize each student will help ensure that we are making them feel like a person and not just a response on a computer screen, which will hopefully encourage better participation and more successful learning.

Building relationships is important, even in an online classroom. It is important for the instructor to get to know the students as well as have the students get to know each other. This will a little different with not being in a classroom, but there are some good ideas and strategies presented here.

It is very important to build relationships with your students - in the traditional classroom and the online classroom.  Learning about your students is a great way to start the class.  I would also share information about myself so they can get to know me as well.

I found the suggestions for establishing a relationship with students I may not meet in person to be very useful. I copiedf and pasted those suggestions for my own use when starting

Students have a right to know our credentials as teachers. There are many ways to share this with them, especially with today's technology. Another key thing is to get to know your students and their needs. I use the first day solely to introduce myself and to talk about the class. The children have 2 weeks to request a class change through their counselors, so we try to weed out the ones who really don't want to be there, since we are an elective. Day 2 is all about getting the kids up in front of their classmates to introduce themselves and tell us one thing they like best about theirself or something unique about them. We won't be able to have them stand up, but they will still be required to respond within the live virtual session. 

I learned that posting an instructor bio with years of practice and certification builds credibility. 

Sign In to comment