Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Understanding and taking time for student needs and better ways to help them

Online teaching has its disadvantages as well as advantages. Online teaching would not be my greatest skill so I need to work on finding ways to better myself

An effective CMS is necessary to convert in-person classrooms to online classrooms.

I found the fact that different schools use different items out of these lists of things you can do in an online course important to learn. It can be frustrating if you are an adjunct and teach at different schools. One thing I liked that this course did is emphasize that different teachers teach the same course in different ways. Canned courses like the freedom and creativity of creating your own course from the ground up – but that creativity is still a part of how you teach.

Nancy Tosh

Reply to Gina Barton's post:

I really liked this particular point as well Gina! And that it applies to both technical support as well as learning support. 

I like the critical thinking element of student participation.

I find it interesting that students that are apart of this more advanced techonlogy generation, still find themselves frustrated with online/web-based learning. 

The information in this module was helpful in understanding how an online class should be set up and what is expected from us as online instructors.

It is important to understand the tasks within my role as an instructor within the online role to inspire confidence from the students. By having them interact with the lessons there is a better chance for success and a higher rate of student retention.

In an e-learning environment, learners have a higher sense of comfort and security when they are convinced that someone will be there to support them. I've basically learned that in order to make my students more comfortable its best to keep an open communication also to be well organized and ready to trouble shoot with them if need be or at least know where to find the answers they need technical or otherwise.

Students choose an online forum for a variety of reasons: flexibility, work-life balance, preferred learning environement, etc. However, success is determined by several variants including a supportive instructor and easy to follow CMS with IT assistance available. 

It is important to understand the CMS, course content, and delivery format to be effective and be able to support students during the course.

I intend to apply various types of communication in an online discussions such as media, emails, discussion posts, and small group discussions. 

In an online environment, the instructor is not only the content expert but is also expected to be a first level technical issue troubleshooter.  I like that the module emphasizes the need for instructors to run through the course and activities.  I think this will be a great way to categorize technical issues and gives the instructor a chance to announce potential issues before students even have to deal with the frustration.

As an instructor participating in an eline platform I learnt that  e-courses must provide for  intellectual interaction, be simple in its navigation and that course content must be coherent and structured. 

I believe tthat knowing the process inside and out is necessary to host a successful online course.

Being an instructor it is crucial for the students but also you to make sure things are structured. 

I am definitely guilty of emailing students to check something off my list. I am going to be more intentional with my communication and try reaching out via phone more.

It is important for the instructors to know ow to navigate the elearning environment, from a tech standpoint, in order to ensure they can assist the students

I appreciate the idea as an instructor to go through the course navigation to see what the student is exposed to and what some of the barriers may be. 

Sign In to comment