Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Common Instructor Mistakes | Origin: ED104

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Class Management Strategies--> Common Instructor Mistakes

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I have to admit that I have difficulty remembering the names of my students especially when teaching 4 classes in a semester which can total up to 80+ students.  One icebreaker that I use is having students write their names on a manila file folder and then think of adjectives with each letter of their name to describe themselves.  When students introduce themselves using the adjectives you connect with them and remember something unique about them.  I usually take notes as they discuss things about themselves.  This helps me to remember their names.  It becomes more personal.

What ifs tend to be my biggest obstacle in professional and personal settings. I have to just remain prepared and this helps reduce any anxiety I may have been feeling about my teaching/lecture. I also set an expectation of respect for myself and other students on the first day. 

Predicting outcomes

Making sure to come to class prepared can help reduce anxiety. As well as making it a habit to learn your students names. It helps to show the students that you care about them.

Instructor Image - How to appear competent and professional. I have learnt some good tips. 

Over prepare for class, if you make mistakes- do not dwell on the mistake, learn from it and move on.

Slow down...that would help me the most.  I want to give students so much information, I have found that sometimes more is just too much. 

In the past I've had trouble remembering names. After the class introduction, on day one, I give assigned seating in alphabetical order. I can take roll easier by the missing seats and can learn names much faster. Day one is also SOP day. Which is Standard Operating Procedures where deadlines, expectations, rules and regulations are explained.

All I can say is the best way to learn from mistakes is to make them, learn from them and improve and improve and move on.

I did not realize that i the students see you as disorganized externally (desk, workbench, handouts, etc.) they will also see you as mentally disorganized. They will begin to question your ability as an instructor. You may be the best there is in your field but they will still lose confidence in your abilities if you stay disorganized.

instructors should make note of mistakes and how they were resolved 

Make light of a situation after a mistake. We are all only human and take notes to avoid making the same silly mistakes.

I always worry about being prepared for a new class. Most of the time issues can be resolved as the class progresses. Just by being aware of what students think and answering questions helps me to stay on top of things.

It is important from to learn from your mistaks. For a first time instructor introduce yourself as a subject matter expert.

It is always important to make notes, and go back to the notes, reevaluate and fix

Seth Sorornnadi

That; "Rapport is a needed relationship that helps students to engage in the learning process and instructors to feel comfortable in sharing their expertise."

I think it is good to over prepare for class so that you don't have excess time at the end.  Put in extra activity if you do run out of time to help students critically think about the material you have covered.  

Being over prepared is good. Slow down  explain and don't give to much information  because it can be to much at the same time. 

Expecting perfection is a common instructor mistake.  Preparation and planning and keeping a notebook are the best antidotes.

Sign In to comment