Common Instructor Mistakes | Origin: ED104
This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:
Class Management Strategies--> Common Instructor Mistakes
Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.
Being a new instructor is tough; even if you are an experienced educator starting at a new location, you are still a new instructor there. So you are having to learn the way things are done there, and creating your class from scratch sometimes feels like you are new all over. Wanting to do well and prove yourself puts additional pressure on you, especially an educator who is brand new to the educator world. As a new educator in my first teaching role, I apparently touched and hit all the "rookie" mistakes in one semester, so I got them out of the way quickly and learned from them. It was tough at first, but I did continue to work at it and improve.
Planning and following the plan.
professionalism is of most importance to keep your job safe and encourage students on how a professional should behave
Be prepared and organized, Show professional deminor.
Even the most experienced teachers can fall into habits that make teaching less effective. I want to be more intentional about making sure that I am not assuming students understand something just because I have explained it. I need to be willing to adjust my approach when something isn't working. It's all about balance. Students need both guidance and the opportunity to work independently.
Taking notes is essential, but it is equally important to review them, reassess the situation, and make adjustments as needed.
I liked the video about how we get to doing the right thing well. To get there, we have to do the right thing poorly. We also have to make students feel vulnerable. I also feel that I am not prepared and can't get organized. I should make notes after the lesson so I don't make the same mistakes when I teach the lesson again.
Experience is the best teacher, So make notes of what went well and always do my best to be prepared.
I've learned not to overthink what I'm doing and to be prepared for the lecture. I also know that mistakes will happen but not to get to worried about them but to learn from them and keep going.
I use a Calander to plan my assignments, so students are aware of what is planned for the week. However, everything can be subject to change, as in the real working world. Some students thrive on structure.
Planning is only half the battle. We can plan, and think we are prepared until we realize were not. Alway expect the unexpected and be able to pivot when needed.
Plan for the best but remember that we are human so mistakes are bound to happen. Write them down and work on not repeating them. Students are not friends/buddies, always stay professional and remember it is ok to grow and learn as you go as well!
How to using humor if I make a mistake in front of the class
I will start making recap notes on my lesson plans to address any mistakes made in class during lecture.
In order to do something well, there is a learning curve. One must go through the process of doing something poorly and be vulnerable.
Mistakes should be used as a learning tool.
Don't let your anxieties get the best of you. Prepare for your first days teaching by going over materials, stay present and kind day of.
This module highlighted how common instructor pitfalls, like vague course expectations and over-explaining concepts, disrupt student learning and engagement.
Instructors make mistakes and like students, we need to learn from them and make changes accordingly. make note of what went well and what didn't. Don't complain about your personal problems to students, keep organized and over prepare for the first while to increase confidence.