Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Great information on how to engage students and also good ways to build teamwork.

Set a goal for the students, Make them understand the application of the course, importance with the career building. Set a class rule and be strict to it.

Shah Rahman

The icebreaker or lead into the material can set the tone for the class and students are more likely to engage and participate.

This learning module impressed upon setting up clear guidelines to prevent misunderstandings. Utilizing colored paper and boxes around key points in the syllabus was a creative format to identify important points or content. Furthermore, explaining how turning in assignments on time will help them in their career choice as well. Learning to organize themselves to accomplish goals on time is crucial for career success.  

I am usually a sucker for a decent excuse for late assignments from my students but I after having read what was included in this training about how the people that we train you for wont accept late products, I think I will be changing my ways! 

I love to use icebreakers to start a new class or subject. It helps me find out allot about my students.

I like the icebreakers to get them engaged. Also, assessing how well my planned strategies worked or did not work and how to improve what I'm doing. Anytime I can get them working in a team situation I try to do so, especially when I can pair more advanced students with less capable students.

Setting reminders for due dates is important

Understanding that there will be a certain amount of missed assignments so that I am not disappointed or frustrated with them or myself.

In establishing your late and missed assignment rule make sure it's clear. Create a class calendar with deadline dates highlighted, underlined, in bold print, and in a larger font. Distribute the calendar along with the syllabus and point out the deadline dates. As deadlines approach, give them a "heads up" on the coming date.

What I have learned from this course is how to introduce guidelines and expectations the first day of class. Students need to learn to work with diverse groups in order to be successful in their careers. Creating icebreakers through team effort will help students learn to work together

Comment on Lorrie Hill's post: I agree I believe should be made aware of what is expected of them and what to expect from me as an instructor

Be clear of expectations in your course.

I have always been a fan of letting the students know the due dates up front. I like to plan for things and I am sure others like to plan for their due assignments and exams.  I do like the team exercise at the beginning of the class to break the ice and get them talking to each other.  

Ice breakers on the first day of class can be helpful. Also, communicate expectations and policies clearly to set them on a path of success.

The importance of stating the late/missed assignment rule in the syllabus. 

I will using the syllabus template I use at the college level and the high school level.  It have all the policy stated, but I will have to do some editing to match the high school requirements. 

Getting to know your students individually can help improve their success. I try to relate to them in different ways to create that connection. I find it helps with their interest in the course and their overall success. 

Organization and engagement for me have been key for teaching adults. As an adult learner myself, I felt that the more I got to know my fellow (much younger) classmates the quicker I learned. I try to engage students for that very reason!

I love icebreakers on the first day or couple of days of class. I have learned that it really helps them to open up and work as a team. I also didn't realize that the number one issue with students is not knowing the due date. I am going to double up on posting due dates inside the google classroom and inside my actual classroom to see if that will make a difference on missing deadlines this year.

Sign In to comment