Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Clearly defining expectations of course and have clearly defined due dates is one area that I realized I could improve!

I've learned that assignment due dates are very important for students to be well aware of, in syllabus, on board, and verbal reminders

Predation is key!

I like the importance of a good icebreaker. Something someone else mentioned was interviewing a new student and teaching the rest of the class about them.

I will have everything written out and students will sign for it. I will put key points on the board in class also.

I have learned from this course how to make my students understand the course material, expectations and timelines and how to engaged my students in class by introducing the course using icebreakers and engaging my students in exercises that can help them understand the course material.

Setting multiple reminders for due dates. Set the missed assignment standards.I will always remember that rule 

Very Useful, already doing some of the suggestions

I enjoy thinking about teaching from the students perspective. I personally love being a student and remember my best teachers.

Posting assignment due dates on the board daily with constant reminders.

What I've learned so far is how to prepare better for the class instead of just going in and talking but to really delve a little deeper to help the students understand as well as make them think about how they would do it out in the field.

It is important to set your expectations for the class early/day 1. I think the quicker you can relate to your students to develop a good rapport, the quicker they will begin to respond accordingly to your expectations, which then naturally increases their engagement. 

I am getting ready to teach my first class but it is with a group of instructors. Unfortunately I am going to miss the first week of lecture due to a work trip. I will miss the icebreaker and part of the bonding for our 3 week course. The big thing for me when I get back is to reiterate what has been taught by the other teachers and continue to instill that standards such as the syllabus. During my phases of lecture I will let the learners know what they need to know and how to apply it to their own respective careers. 

Use many methods to make your syllabus interesting to the student and team building activities to use as ice breakers and learning experiences.

Being clear and precise on the goals and requirements for the class helps the students have a clear understanding of what is expected of them and what they will gain from the course as far as skills and knowledge.

I love ice breakers at the beginning of the first class.  During the first class, I spend time reviewing my policy, school policies, and requirement for the class.  I give the class opportunities to ask question or talk about barriers with the expectations.

I like the idea of "What's in it for me?"  I have never heard of that before.  I also think that the syllabus should be clear and concise for the student's to know due dates for assignments.  A lot of times student's don't read the syllabus and so as a novice instructor I feel that it is important to spend five minutes at the end of class to review the syllabus so that students understand the expectations for an upcoming assignment or a particular due date that is coming up.

I love icebreakers as well i feel this takes away alot of the first day/week jitters students may have. I envolve students in many of the conversations and activities done online and in lab so everyone gets an experience.

be a mode for success. 

I will be responsible for teaching my first class ever next month.  The information posted in this module will be invaluable to help me start that journey.  I love the idea of an ice breaker to start the session and get everyone engaged in meeting each other.  Students are an invaluable resource to each other and getting them to engage each other right away will help them start getting things like study groups and encourage them to involve each other in learning opportunities.  When I was a student I found that keeping good open communication with the other students was very helpful to my learning.  Other perspectives on information is such a great way to reinforce your learning.

Sign In to comment