Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

In this topic I've learned a unique way to learning the student's way of learning and behavior.

Examining their knowledge/brainpower

Noticing how well they're able to get along with others, 

and how well they execute and/or understand projects/assignments.

Also engage with students so that they feel more comfortable going down the road to share more often!

I like to do ice breakers with my students and they usually enjoy them as well. I have the students put themselves in the alphabetical order. This requires them to introduce themselves to their peers. It also allows me to stand back and observe the students' personalities. I can usually pick out the leaders and the students who are a little more timid than the others.

I do like the idea about setting up a calendar with due dates. I think this would be extremely helpful for both me and my students.

Clear expectations on due dates and late work has always been a priority for me and my colleagues. We use the same policy accross the board in our academy. That way students already know what to expect.

it's important to set the expectations from the first day of class, getting to know them and them you. Expectations will be easier to managed if set on early in the course. 

Sensitivity to the lived experiences of underrepresented students is vital in establishing a successful learning environment. A successful educator must teach at the learner's level of understanding. Adult learners do not all come to us at the same level or academic proficiency.

This section helped me understand how important it is to get students involved in their own education from the very beginning. I hope to incorporate setting expectations clearly from the beginning. I also like the idea of starting with a teamwork activity to show students the benefit of collaboration.

As the SME and classroom manager on the 1st day of class I typically introduce myself and then provide the students an opportunity to introduce themselves. Afterwards I will go over the course syllabus along with my expectations that I have for them. Along with letting them know that I am here to build them up not to tear them down.

Engagement is of utmost importance in order for a student to get the information needed to pass your class. Students need to trust that you are there for them when needed.

I have learned that deadlines are important for all students.  They may or may not pay attention so frequent reminders are indeed needed.

The Syllabus is very important to set the requirements of your class.  Knowing what is expected helps set a guideline for student to follow.

Icebreakers help to personalize you and the student sitting beside them.  Puts so many at ease and opens the door for a clear head and discussion of the subject at hand.

very interesting and useful information

I have students from different school and different skill levels so first few meeting is getting to know each other. It is a time for me to learn the different skill set levels. 

I too find starting with an ice breaker first class promotes that each students' voices heard.  Can open the door for students who tend to be a bit hesitant to share publicly.  I also find an activator at the start of each class very important to spark prior learning and mis understandings.  

A learning environment is a growing living thing.  Go with your instincts to enhance learning and engage all learners.  

As technology advances I feel we all need to know the basics for the classroom, and incorporate that in our lessons to keep students engaged. I always go through all expectations and also constantly let students know about due dates for all assignments. 

Ice breaking comes naturally to me, I like to know who I'm in the room with. People tend to speak more often where friendly is.

Have clear expectations set in place for students 

I need to develop an ice breaker for the beginning of class. I usually cover several aspects of the class but it's flat and boring.  I also need to better develop a process for late work rather than relying on my descretion.  

Be clear and precise in your syllabus. Include highlighted due dates and review this on the first day. Include any projects and group work that are included and explain the rationale for their inclusion. If time permits include some form of group activity to demonstrate how group work can be a benefit. Unfortunately and realistically, not all programs can afford this luxury. 

Role model and mentor

Sign In to comment