Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Be creative. Set the tone. 

Be confident with the material you're presenting and be observant of how your students accept the material.

Comment on Christopher Arori's post: I agree with you. Emotional intelligence is the key to begin to understand our students and be able to read the room.

I like the approach of this module. I think the human factor is the key. As human beings, we want to be recognized; learning our students' names is the first step. Moreover, if we focus on each individual it would be easy to find the way to understand their needs and communicate our expectations. 

On the other hand, I think that our passion for our careers will be reflected in our enthusiasm for our topics, which will help motivate our students to participate. However, it is crucial to use our emotional intelligence to be able to learn to read each student and each class, since each one is different.

Getting to know your students on a personal level, beginning class with some lighthearted moments, respecting them as individuals, and providing clear cut expectations for success are essential components for student retention. The dictator mentality simply does not work.

I look back at the educators from my past. The classes I enjoyed the most were taught by those who were most engaged and excited about the content. I think it promotes an excitement to learn. 

In this module, I have been reminded that a balanced bit of levity can move the class along pleasantly. Having (now 53 years ) experience in the Respiratory Care profession allows me to think of amusing events in patient care (not at a patient's expense) that can set a new student up to remember foolish actions to avoid, or can teach a student how to instruct a patient in a procedure. 

The mechanism of cough has four components to it, inspiration, glottic closure, compression, and expulsion. A tracheostomized patient cannot have glottic closure nor compression. Having grown up on a ranch in Texas, I watched cows cough.  They did not have what we humans have, the glottic closure and compression.  I called it "cow coughing." A young patient humorously challenged me with a hastily written note, "Are you calling me a cow?!?!?!?" 

My students have remembered the story and avoided embarrassment in their clinical practice.

The amount of enthusiasm, enjoyment and care I bring to the class and subject material I teach will directly effect the amount of enthusiasm, enjoyment and care my students will share and experience in the classroom.

Students will take their cue from the instructor. The instructor should demonstrate their joy of teaching and of their subject. The old adage: "If you love your job then it is not work" applies here.

This module talks about reading the emotional needs of the students and trying to teach to the moment by using humor or creating excitement about the material to help lighten the mood. The student's need to be given positive feedback about all the small benchmarks that are met so that they will stay motivated. I need to get excited about the subject for the students to feel excited about it. 

As Active learners adults want immediate use of newly acquired knowledge when compared to youth who are Passive learners. Also learned how to build a rapport with students .

Create a positive learning environment for your students. Becoming comfortable around each other helps students of all ages learn in their environment.

Verbal rewards are powerful tools to increase student self respect.

Get to know your students. Make sure they know you are there to support them and have a fun class, don't make it a miserable learning experience

I have learned how instructor encourage students be active in the class. Also, the understanding of students are important to support teaching success. One of using method to support that is first day survey.

There are so many ways to engage the students.  I really like the ideas of creating fun challenges as groups without getting competitive to a fault.

I really enjoy taking this course. It's an eye opener for me, because I'm new to teaching in a class setting. I usually train in a hospital setting. My love for teaching brought me to Concorde.  This course has taught me more ways to keep the students attention, to keep them focus and help them to set realistic goals. I will apply everything that I can to educated the student to be a success in their field of study.

I do think that the human aspect is key to student retention. When I start a new class I try to remember the names of the students, so that they can feel welcomed to class.

Learning should be fun and informative. Letting students in on my funny moments will help them understand it happens to everyone. I'm the same as them, just with more experience

When teachers show their students that they are passionate about what they are teaching, it can help to encourage the students to want to learn.

Sign In to comment