Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I want to become more intentional about greeting each student as they enter the weekly online class.

Remember to be creative to have a positive learning environment.  This way of teaching may need to adjust with different classes, but in general create and environment that students can learn in a positive way.

Teaching should not be a dictatorship. Being demanding or inflexible does not necessarily mean the students will mold into compliance. It is also a sign of disrespect, and does not foster learning. Showing the human side of who are you are respecting the students as they are while still promoting a positive learning environment is ideal. 

Students are people first and we, as instructors, help their achievement with appeals to excite them about the subject matter and authencity of self when presenting learning material.

As an adult learner, I do my best to make students of all ages feel comfortable.

How to make a students feel confortable in your class. Learn names.... 

As an instructor that teaches multiple classes each term I routinely can have up to 60 students total, I realize I have put learning their names further down my list of important tasks and by making this a priority and finding tools to facilitate this will go a long way in my classes. I also plan to work on adding more creative projects to my courses.

Activities that are fun and creative appeal to adult learners just as much as they do to children. They can allow the students to relax for a few minutes so they can approach the lesson plan feeling fresh and ready to learn.

I learned from this session that Kindness and positive actions will give students a sense of happiness in a bit of a moment. I always start my class with a nice quote on the board that resonates  to me and at the end of the week I go around and ask what their favorite quote of the week was and why? it opens up a nice discussion and I as well as all students get to know a bit more about everyone in a kind way.

Comment on Amy Shepherd-Jones's post: Leading by example is the best way for students to see your professionalism and for them to know that you practice what you preach. This is a way to gain students respect.

Being enthusiastic about the subject, will motivate the students, and make them feel excited too. Even making a joke or telling a funny story will make them feel more at ease.

The video about the teacher who could never get to all his talking points but still made sure that his students had great discussions hit close to home with me.  Sometimes the best scenarios are the ones that go off script.

I have learned so much from this course.

Be enthusiastic about what you are teaching and how you are presenting the information. Your attitude will guide the class in the subject and their learning.

Make learning fun! Even if we are teaching adults, it is ok to reward adults and recognize their hard work. Everyone wants to be acknowledged when they accomplish something; adult learners are no different. For example, I love the idea of bringing in a treat (cupcakes or pizza) after the class finishes a huge project. It is imperative that the instructor be excited about the subject they teaching! We are a product of our environment. If I am not excited and engaging about teaching, I should not expect my students to be excited or engaged in learning.

Being creative and adjusting your teaching style to fit the day is helpful. Sometimes students give telltale signals that they need a break to recharge and refocus and it is important to recognize these moments. 

I have learned that is important to have an environment where the students are confidents, where the feel positive and connected with their partners and instructors.

To maintain a creating amount of energy and enthusiasm in order to give each class by incorporating fun facts or pizza days

Have fun teaching, keep them as well as yourself engaged in the activities. If you're excited to learn/teach, they will be too.

Respect and value your students and dont treat them like they are highschoolers. 

Sign In to comment