Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

How to incorporate a variety of questioning techniques to enhance the classroom discussion. 

Attention given to a well-crafted question will hopefully yield an accurate assesment on what the student understands, or direct the discussion or topic.  Point is don't overlook the power in thoughtful and pursposeful questioning, it's an important tool that can be easily underutilized

The Socrates method of asking questions will lead the students to a higher level of thinking and understanding of the subject.

Questioning is a driving force of a learning process. Questions have to be prepared well

To not ask students questions to get their attention (if they are not paying attention). 

Questions can be phrased and sculpted to illicit specific types of responses.  This can be a valuable teaching technique to improve comprehension.

Engage and make sure students have a full understanding of why they are there and how the training plays a role in their job/position/tasks. 

When asking questions, it is also important to listen for what is left out and listen for the response of what is bringing them into the realization of an answer. Take notes to help as a reminder of what questions worked well with in a classroom to engage the student the most.  The learning chains links are learner, instructor, learner, checking for understanding. 

Understanding and using questioning techniques makes for greater understanding and better learning outcomes!

Have a variety of questions for the diverse learning styles and aptitudes of the students. This will increase the level of participation you get from the class in interaction making it beneficial for everyone. Remember to be tactful in regards to answering questions from the students and always give them your undivided attention when they ask you one.

I am new to instructing and I am learning a lot from the training. I am excited to know that I am already using a lot of these techniques. I keep in mind that I was once a student myself and think about what helped me relate more to the lessons. This is definitely that needs constant revising. I am glad to know it is just not the questions asked but how the questions are asked will keep the students engaged. 

Asking questions fosters class discussion and gets students more involved in learning

Socrates style is veryimpressive andmight use itin the future.

Asking questions is a sophisticated art and should be asked appropriately, worded properrly and at the right level.

Using questions to create a higher level of learning, I love it. This is a great tool to apply in so many ways beyond just general understanding. I have a lot of work to do because I often get the silence in the room so I have to work on asking better questions myself.

I also like the Socrates method and using questions to direct the discussion and keeping it on track

The Socrates method by asking questions is just a way to make the students think, use their thoughts and encourage them to participate .

I was unaware that there is an art or method to asking questions. I believe this will be a great asset for me in the kitchen.

This module gave excellent examples on how to use questioning techniques to drive discussion and help students capture knowledge. The HBS videos were especially insightful. 

The Socrates method just gives the other person an opportunity to think and apply critical thinking methods.

You should ask your students questions in a way to get the best answer and to let them give their answer right or wrong, If the answer is not right begin a discussion with the class to get everyone to have an input.

Sign In to comment