Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Formulating questions that promote critical thinking takes skill but can really stimulate classroom discussion 

Comment on ARTHUR CALABRESE's post: Arthur, you’re absolutely right. Excellent review of critical thinking and questioning strategies. I liked how 3 sec silence is helpful to prevent interruptions and help every student to express their points easily. 

Taking questioning to a new level is an effective lesson for both teacher and student. Rather than discouraging question and answers, this makes a Q and A session much more interesting. It allows for group participation in what might be a fun and informative new platform for students.

It is important to include questioning within our teaching practice. By integrating questioning, we promote critical thinking. It also will assist in gaining knowledge of the learners' understanding of the concepts presented. Socratic questioning is a type of questioning that helps the learner to think deeper and provides an opportunity for higher learning. Questioning is important. It is equally important that the teacher provide opportunity for silence after the question has been posed. It is also very important to listen until the learner has completely finished answering. Once the learner responds, provide immediate feedback in such a manner to promote further learning.

Asking students questions is a great technique to assess the knowledge. However, it should be done appropriately so that students are engaged. Also, I really like the idea of questionings as a form of discussion. This would allow students to 'overcome' shyness and learn not just from the instructor, but from the peers as well.

Questions  are good at getting students to respond and also learn to ask more questions in depth

I have learned to keep the learning objectives in mind as I ask questions and listen to students' responses so that I can use this opportunity to break up the question to ensure objectives are met and to be careful to ask broader or narrower questions at the beginning and end of courses.

Questioning can help the instructor know if students are understanding the material. It also enhances participation.

The way in which questions are presented can make a big difference to the student's ability to learn and willingness to answer in the future. 

Asking students questions is a great way to keep them engaged and measure how much retention is occurring. 

to try different methods of questioning throughout the lecture to facilitate a deeper level of understanding by the student.  Can use the objectives and summary of the lesson plan and pose as a question.

Using questions appropriately will assist with guiding classroom discussions and assessing students understanding.

Questions are an important part of learning and should be encouraged. You never want to make a student feel stupid for asking a question.

What I have learned from this module is that there are many kinds of questions, many ways to answer, and many ways to apply questions and answers to increase learning for the student.  Harvard School of Business is an effective example to posit these different uses of questions and answers.  We as instructors must take creative use of this knowledge not only for the benefit of the student but also as a venue to increase our understanding of how to manipulate our teaching environment for more effective and safe teaching methods that lead to better student comprehension of the material being taught.

Questions are important, but you must ask the right questions!

I learned how to use questioning techniques to ensure students are engaged.

Using the correct approach with questions will help keep students engaged and interested in learning.  

This helped me understand how to ask questions to help students obtain a better understanding of the topic.  The types of questions you ask can make a huge difference in helping or hindering a student.

I have learned that it is important to ask specific questions to verify understanding of content.

I learned there are numerous ways to ask questions as well as how to respond ot them. I learned that I am often asking questions that are too broad leaving the students disengaged and frustrated. I also was reminded that I want to work on being comfortable with silence to allow students time to process and answer

Sign In to comment