Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I appreciate the Socratic method in combination with case studies as a way to encourage critical thinking. 

This methodology engages all members of the class while also providing a robust dialogue. 

I have learned that oftentimes when a student is not asking a question, it is out of fear of responding incorrectly or just being shy in class. I also learned the Socratic Method form of asking questions helps foster learning on a higher level.

Questioning helps to keep students engaged and encourages participation. There are different facets of understanding content and Socratic questioning can help uncover these areas and the level of understanding of the student, while also helping students to think more critically. I intend on using this teaching technique in my educational setting.

I would like to add more information to my welcome letter emailed to students prior to a SIM or clinical to include more information about myself, my background, and my interests. Also, it's important to add that I grade frequently, and I'm available to them for support.

Questioning in the class will improve students' participation

Encourage different learning styles and question students in different ways and use open ended questions to help them process and learn.

Asking questions is a great way to check if the student understand the material and is a great involve the students in the discussion and expand beyond the scope of what a lecture can provide. 

The key for me in this section is to frame my questions in ways not just to get the answer but to check for understanding, and afterwards give my students time to not only answer correctly but affirm and encourage them by repeating the answers they give me to clarify the answers and solutions to a question or problem.

The various techniques of asking a question shapes a student’s learning.

Responding to questions effectively can help create better dialogue and ensure learning is taking place

Questions help the class to engage in learning. It is important to wait for answers and listen to responses. There are different strategies to expand upon a partial answer or direct students to the correct answer.

Questioning leaves the lecture up for determining understanding through assumption development.  I enjoy this method because by posing a question, you're able to let someone talk through their thought process and develop their opinion or guide their lack of understanding.

Questioning is an important tool in your instruction. Varying questions from broad to narrow, asking questions that draw students in, asking them to do more than just recall facts, these are all important techniques to employ. 

Lots of good tips on how to use questions as a teaching tool and ways to respond to student answers if correct, partially correct, incorrect, and off topic.

I love when students ask me questions. Most of the time the students just need a little bit more clarity on a topic.

I must remember to give my students time to think and answer on their own, without guiding them to the correct answer prematurely

Comment on Shelly GravesLynn's post: Using questions as technique is helpful when assessing if the students are understanding or grasping concepts that are being taught. As an instructor, if the students are not comprehending what was taught, this may be an opportunity to review the information again or have the students look for the answer as a group.

Questioning as a teaching technique can stimulate critical thinking and engage students actively in the learning process. I have learned that the Socratic method, inspired by Socrates, is a powerful approach in discussion (suggested for case studies). It involves asking thought-provoking, open-ended questions to guide students to discover answers themselves rather than providing direct information. Overall, I intend to use questioning as a tool in promoting active learning and critical thinking among my students.

To apply this session's topic, I intend to incorporate more open-ended questions in my teaching, encouraging students to explore concepts deeply and articulate their thoughts. I'll also use the Socratic method to facilitate discussions (when applicable) and using strategic questions in each session to foster a collaborative and inquiry-based learning environment. This approach not only enhances comprehension but also helps students develop problem-solving and communication skills while being engaged with the class material. Additionally, I intend to be mindful of using questions at various cognitive levels to cater to different learning stages. 

I find that questions can serve many purposes in the classroom by enhancing the learning experience from furthering conversation and engagement to redirecting disruptive students. This definitely helps to broaden my perspective on how to effectively use questions within my students. 

Sign In to comment