Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Honestly, my biggest takeaway was the utilizing the Socratic method and redirecting students to answer other students' questions. I know the Socratic method is a standard and classical technique, but I think by using it more inentionally students responses and reflection on concepts would be more robust. Like brainstorming, where you get all the face-value ideas out of the way and refine unique concepts. I think redirecting students to answer student questions is also a great way to encourage participation and break down the "I don't want to look dumb in front of my peers" barrier.

Effective questioning can lead to student engagement and allow teachers to know whether students are comprehending the subject. I will make sure that the questions I ask students are engaging and not just open ended. 

I plan to bring a tape recorder into the classroom for various sessions to hear myself respond during Q&A sessions to ensure that my tone remains neutral or encouraging.

Questions, when asked in certain ways or tone, can help students gain deeper understanding than just simply spilling out facts and having them read assignments.  

Using Socrates as the foundation for a class on Critical Thinking. 

The opportunity for students to ask questions on a forum/anon method and then discuss the next day in class; helpful if the student is not comfortable asking questions publicly. This also allows the instructor time to prepare. 

Questioning tools are a great way to do a simple knowledge check

Make sure that all questions are equally important and know the level of question that is being asked to the student/class.

Being thoughtful about how different types of individuals learn new material 

Understanding the methods and purposes of questioning from the instructor and learner's point of view is very helpful.  The HBS videos reinforce the concepts of questioning and the how to.  Good overview of the Socratic Method, often discussed but rarely presented in understandable paralance.  Most of the time folks just believe it is repreating why? why? why?

This is an interesting way of asking questions. I will review it again and apply to my family at some point and time. This will reinforce my 

technique of asking  Socrates Method of question?

Reply to Annie Tinsley's post: Yes I agree with you. I liked answering some classroom questions in the pass.

I have learned that you muct keep students active and moving to keep them fully engage in the content that they are learning  to keep them thinking.

I have Learn that I need to always come prepare way above the expected dicussion topic prepared for that day. Have a plan A and a pln B for activitives and events because students gets bored. Keep them engaged

I have learned that various types of questions can build and expand upon topics, such as open-ended questions. Asking questions that are relevant, sequential and stimulating will help students to understand material better and allow for critical thinking. I intend to use the personalization method and redirecting as I overlook these at times. 

Asking appropriate questions will help the students learn by engaging them in discussion. It is important to encourage participation throughout the discussion.

I've learned that I need to allow learners time to think of a question before I call on someone to answer. I also learned that the Socartis method of teaching is best used when exploring ideas such as with case studies.

I learned that I need to allow time for learners to respond to a question I pose.

I found the use of silence as a way to answer a question to be interesting. 

Ways to interact with the class in order to see if there are any questions and how to approach a class does not ask questions.  

Questioning is an integral part of an education. Teaching to memorize is acceptable on a foundational level; somethings you will just have to commit to your memory. However, effective questioning, causes critial thinking attributes to be developed making the student more engaged and creating a better understanding of the content in THEIR method of learning style.

Sign In to comment