Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Strategic questioning makes students aware of different ways to think and respond. In order to draw students's attention a variety of questions should be implemented. 

Learning is just not talking to the class.  Participation by students asking questions facilitates learning.

I learned there is an art to questioning. Its not as simple as waiting on someone to ask somthing and then ansering it. Its about getting the students involved and helping everyone to gain an understanding of the topic being discussed. 

Having students respond to other students' answers to questions is a good way to initiate some discussion, involve other students and expound upon the first answer to fully suss out the complete answer to a specific question.

Having students respond to other students' answers to questions is a good way to initiate some discussion, involve other students and expound upon the first answer to fully suss out the complete answer to a specific question.

Encourages engagement of students

How questions are my favorite because it has the students play out the video/scenarios in their heads. For example how would you describe heart failure to a non compliant patient. 

Questions are a great way to get/maintain student engagement, but if answers aren't acknowledged, are riduculed, or otherwise not respected (even if incorrect) it can result in students shutting down.  The question process should be a positive one, used to further learning.

Questioning is a dual edged tool that benifits both the teacher and the student group.

A teacher may use this method to either gain an appreciation for the knowledge base that the students currently have or it may be a methid to invite discussion by all members of the class to bettwer understand the subject at hand.

Seth Soronnadi

I found that "When teaching using case studies and problem solving. The Socratic Method is designed to pull a variety of ideas from students for consideration and then to select those responses that appear to be most workable in for that situation."

Being selective of questions to students. 

Questions are strategic in that they draw out responses from students that help to meet certain learning goals.  Questions may help with clarifying, accuracy, precision, to name a few.

This was a great reminder for me to use questions rather than just lecturing during my instructions.  I am definitely going to try some of the suggested  technics on aksing questions. 

Questions force students to think through answers and so become more active learners. Questions engage everyone, teacher and students and are a more compelling way to teach.

The course emphasized the contribution of the student's questions. Even bad or ill-informed questions can be used to explain the key points on the subject. The teacher must be aware of their body language when being asked a question to ensure that the student feels that their contribution to the class is worthwhile. 

One of my favorite thoughts is from the poet ee cummings. "Always the more beautiful answer to who asks a more beatiful question." I especially appreciate questions that ask "why" a student believes what the do or why a situation is so. I will continue to work on engaging students with questions to delved deeper into subjects.

Questions are healthy for all parties.  Instructors must learn how to handle all types of questions for effective and efficient classrooms management.

There are various ways to question students. Questioning techniques provide opportunities for students to engage in class discussions.

I encourage my students to answer questions and use many of the techniques from this section.

The use of questioning can be used to bring clarity when there is ambiguity. Use of questioning can also lead to more discussion on topics and more participation by the students.

Sign In to comment