Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

proper introduction and preperation will lead to a better experience for both teacher and student

Help the students meet each other as well as yourself.

I really like the idea of the index cards and all the ice breakers!!

Being aware of how we felt being a student in a new course and applying that as an instructor. 

I learned that the first meeting is not about getting everything done but making sure the students leave feeling like they have an understanding of what to expect. Introductions are important as it allows the student a chance to open up and the students have an opportunity to learn something about the instructor. 

To greet students as they enter your classroom, give an introduction and share small tibits about yourself, and give students an opportunity to introduce themselves and meet each other.

Properly  setting the stage for the course you are teaching by applying these suggestions will spell success for you and your students.

Many adults have been out of school for a number of years and have become rusty with their note-taking skills. Also, they need to know what you perceive as important points so they can get them in their notes and study them.

Student comfort in class settting and expectations for course.

An important part of starting a class is to help your students feel comfortable with you and other students, and understand what is expected of them and what they can expect to learn from the course.  To do that, it is helpful if the instructor practices modeling, management, and motivating techniques.

get to know their names and let them know your experience and knowledge

First impersions are everything

haveing a warm welcome to the class 

can make a student feel you are excited to have them in your class.

I like to do a icebreaker and introduction in the begining of each course....

Always communicate with your students and it's OK if they know a bit about you. Even better if you know a little bit about them. It is the relationship that helps build trust.

Have everyone state their name, what they think they know about the course.  What they would like to learn from the course as well as their future career in said course.  State my experience and share what I've seen in the field to better clarify the path the students are headed down.

It is difficult for me to remember names. I need to come up with a system to do that. Also just putting students at ease during the first class. 

I learned it is important to test students prior to them going to class so they have an idea of what they are going to learn.

Provide an introduction about yourself and make sure to discuss the class expectations. 

Introductions by name with a personal fact help students to feel comfortable and will help me to remember names which is important to make people feel valued.

I will try hard to remember all the names.

Sign In to comment