Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The importance of learning the students name and using groups to help introduce themselve.

The importance of learning namesReply to Dena Brown's post: Reply to Tracy Brown's post:

I like the idea of a pretest. I have never done that but I see that it could give the student an idea on how to study. 

make a good first impression.  

Students need to have a sense of comfort if they are to learn successfully.

it is important to go over the sylibus for the class on your first day.

Introductions are important to the learning environment as well as making a strong effort to learn the students names

I learned the importance of giving a brief pretest to know how much the student alrady knows about the topic or how much they have learned from the reading assignments. I am planning to give brief nongraded pretest to understand the base knowledge my students are coming with. 

Learning 30 to 60 names in a short amount time can be a difficult task for some. It is significantly easier to recognize something about a person though. Learning some detail about them on the first day will help remember the students individually.

Take time to get to know a little ablout each student 

Let them know through your experince and training that you are qualified to teach the course. Inform them of the what they will be learning  and your expections for them in the course.

I understand it makes students feel more comfortable if they know some background about the instructor and his background/qualifications.  Plus, students need to get to know each other as well.

The first impression is the most important. Remember the 3 M's: model, manage and motivate. in the classroom early to prepare, have your materials ready and be ready to greet the students as they walk into the classroom. Introduce yourself and share some of your background and experience. Introduce a fun activity where they can also introduce themselves and share something as well.

Importance of using student's names.

I usually take pictures of students, 5 at a time (with their permission), in alphabetical order as per the roster. Each day, I try to learn the names of at least 5 students. But now I have 50-75 students in a class, and a lot of material to cover each day, so I am not sure what to do to learn that many names! Any ideas anyone?

It is important to have some group activities for the students so they get to know each other and it will also help them relax a little bit in class.

It is important to be prepared for class.

It is important to discuss your accessiblity to the students as well as review policies and procedures that are relevant and specific to your class  and  include them in syallbus.

It is important to learn each student's name to create a more comfortable environment for them. Coming into a class where you feel you are not acknowledged by name can make students feel as if they are not important to the class. It is important that our students feel welcomed.

Its important to survey your audeunce so that you can flex your teaching style. 

Sign In to comment