Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

1. Take the time to get to know your students and let them get to know each other. Cover the syllabus.

First class impression makes a big impact on what the students can expect from the instructor and the class.

Its important for the students sccuess to allow them to feel at ease. 

At the beginning of the course instructions should open up with an introduction about themself.

THe instructor should then allow students to provide some information about themselves.

This will allow everyone to get to know each other a little better. 

As the course goes on instructors should greet students at the door of class/lab with a friendly smile and "hello".

To be friendly have a smile on your face, greet your students.  Remember your students names.  What I do is I call my new students names at least 3 times through out the day to remember their names.  By remembering a student name it make the student feel value.

It is important to find strategies to learn students names. Also make sure the course requirements and objectives are clear on the First day.

Setting the tone on the first day, intoduce yourself and have students do the same, name cards might help in a face to face class. be on time and encouraging

Provide a little bit of background about your professional and personal life to allow your students to get to know you. Allow students a few minutes to talk about their goals for school. This also gives you a chance to learn their names and correctly pronounce their names. 

Taking time to set yourself up on the first day of class helps set the tone for the course.

Make the time to learn about each student to make them feel important. To be clear on what you are teaching. 

This reinforced to me how important it is to establish a good first impression.  Making a list and covering all of the introductory topics to establish expectations is vital.  It is also important to motivate the students to want to be in the class by getting to know you, the instructor, and their fellow students to establish a positive connection.  Also, demonstrate your passion for the subject and encourage the students by ensuring them that you will support their learning and provide clear, achievable goals.

This module reminded me how important it is to make a good first impression.  It is important to introduce yourself, but also to get to know the students and allow them time to get to know each other.  Defining expecations, reviewing policies and procedures, and motivating students by expressing your passion for the subject and relating it to them by establishing how the course will provide them with the skills and knowledge to achieve their goals, are also vital.

I leraned that as an instructor, being prepared for class is ideal for maintaing controll of the class/course. learning students names is also important because it implies that you care about them. We can set the tone of the class's learning environment with the way we present oursekves.  

In meeting the class for the first time I took away information about a positive first impression.  Greeting the students at the door is important so they see that you are the instructor and that you are happy that you are there.  The motivation of students is so important to how you will be creating the future in the classroom.  Let the students know that the rewards of class is based on the belief of their performance.  Make the students realize that the class is valuable and yet enjoyable.

It's critical to put the students at ease with clear expectations, how we're going to get from day one to final exam. Providing examples and and giving pretest decreases the anxiety level of nervous students.

Informing the students of your academic and experience can help ease their minds.

You never gat a second chance to make a proper first impression

To be informative but personnel to help them feel at ease about the class and classmates. 

Students must feel motivated and comfortable in the classroom.

Students must feel motivated and comfortable in the classroom.

I found this module very interesting and I learned a great deal. I am one that I know faces but I am horrible with names. When I first started teaching, this was one of my fears and it still is. Currently, my classes are online so I do not have trouble with this. But eventually, we will return to the classroom. My goal is to use the tips discussed in this module to make sure I know my student's names. 

Sign In to comment