Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I liked the idea of having the students sign an acknowledgment of understanding what is required of them according to the syllabus. 

Introductions are essential as they break the ice and serve as a way to get to know each other.  Introductions also contribute to the establishment of rapport.

It is important to relate with your students, while still establishing boundries. An important topic was be detailed on your first day of class, but not to to the point  of limiting flexibility. . I also liked how it was mentioned to define your expectations on the the syllabus as well as on the first day of class. Setting these expectations early, gives more time for learning and teaching. Learning student names early on, shows commitment and character and helps to build trust between the instructor and students. Letting your students learn a little about yourself, gives them the confidence to let you get know them and aid in their sucess as a student. 

good sequence of introduction in class and strategies to keep learning fun.

In general for the first day of class, it's important to make students feel comfortable and motivated, and that the course will be valuable and enjoyable for them.

I like the idea of taking their photos on the first day to help learn the students' names later.  I plan to try that next term.  

Knowing the students' name and taste together with their goals are esseential for a class sucess.

The activities introduced here are useful.

Reply to Jackie Cloman's post:Good summarize. Thank you

Reply to Michael Daub's post: do you think it would be easy the first day to ask them for a group photo?

Preparing before class allows you to relax during class and get to know each of your students. 

its inportant to have student feel comfortable in knowing where their future is going and how they will get there and that the end is attainable and within reach to everyone. Also its good to share some personal history so that they can have a sense that you as a teacher are skilled and passionate about your field.

The learning environment should be comfortable and anxiety-free.  The instructor has the ability to set the tone of the course with the first meeting.  Utilizing all these suggestions will help me make a differrence in the way my students respond.  As the old saying goes, "You get one chance to make a first impression."  I plan to make it count in a positive manner.

When we take the time to learn students names that instantly makes them feel part of the class and lets them know we SEE them.

The importance of getting to know your students and letting them know more about you and your background.

1. Get to know students and share personal connection

2. Alleviate anxieties and nervousness

3. Start and End classes with purpose

Being early , prepared and engaging and relaxing the students with your professional experience and some personal information makes you relatable and the students more comfortable. Familiarize yourself with the students and repeatedly learn their names to let them know you care and are listening .

I learned the importance of being early to greet your students and getting to know their names

I will learn my students name before the first class. That will give them sense of not being astranger. 

It is vital to set clear expectations and encourage student participation

It is vital to set clear expectations and encourage student participation

Sign In to comment