Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Have studented engaged in conversation about what they are actively learning while in the classroom, not what they read the night before

How to provide helpful study techniques and advice to give my future students on how to adequately prepare for my class and succeed. 

Participation is more about quality and quantity 

I love the idea of having the students take away 4 things at the end of class. 

1. Sense of where they are going and how they will get there

2. See their fellow classmates as friends or pals and not strangers

3. Get the idea that the instructor care about learning

4. have the expectation that the course will be valuable and enjoyable

Just as it's important to go over the course goals/objectivies and requirements, it's beneficial to connect with my students and instill a sense of comfort and belonging to facilitate success. 

When meeting the class for the first time, the instructor shoud provide a brief description of their background along with class objectives and expectations. 

Gave a good breakdown and skeleton of what to discuss the first day of class and how to properly set the tone. It is important to learn their names, greet them, and answer all questions.

Making an effort to know students by name, as well as creating a list to cover important points. 

Learn students names

It is very important to remmber the names of students. I think this is great for everyone you work with as well. It is also great to motivate the students in the beginning and throughout the course. It is important to network and interact with professionals and student to student. As an instructor, it is also okay to share some of your hobbies with students to let them know you are human. And for the first class meeting, do not forget to go over the class sylllabus and course objectives.

This lesson reinforced the importance of personal relationships both between the students and the instructor and their fellow students.

I learned the improtance of setting the tone with the syllabus, course objectives, getting to know you etc.

Meeting your students as they enter the class room, helps put you at ease but also warms the students. Intruductions all around, discription of the class, and a brief insight as to your own experiances will show the students that you are the teacher, and will help define the class room.

Being prepared helps you make a great first impression

A good first impresion consisting of setting up the class of who I am as an instructor and a map of  how this class will help them reach their educational goals is a great start. 

The most important aspect of meeting your class for the first time is the student's impression of you as an instructor.  Being late, unprepared, or overly nervous on opening day sets an undesirable tone for the entire course.

It is important to be prepared for the first day, set a good impression, make them feel comfort and answer their questions about your expectations for them. They want the basics on the first day! They will make their impression of you on that first day and they need to leave with info about not only the course, but about you, and how they are going to be successful!

It is important for students to feel confident in their ability to be successful with the course at the end of the first class. 

Remembering students names is a difficult skill for me. I like the idea of using a student picture file to help.

Introducing myself to the students breaks the ice and make them feel welcome and important.

Sign In to comment