Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Introductions with a purpose - I think for my electrical class I'll use a head shot for a photo ID for their individual LockOut/TagOut cards. I get to remember their names with faces, they have a hands on 'easy' assignment (a selfie), and they've accomplished their first safety task!

It's the small things in the first class that can stand out to the students. I will start having each student introduce themselves to the class to help them get to know each other 

The first class, including introductions, experience, and humanizing yourself as a faculty member sets the tone for how the students will feel about the class in general. Providing the students as many details about the expectations for the course is so important. One take away I really liked is to make a list, so you don't forget anything that you want the students to know. It's easy to get distracted, especially the first class. 

I really enjoyed this section of the modules and it is something I already incorporate into my classes.  I ask each student to tell me something about themselves that not a lot of people know, their favorite snack and why they wanted to become a nurse.  Doing this helps me learn about the students and also helps me to understand their motivation.  If I can understand their motivation, I can learn how to motivate them.  

I also wanted to add that discussing the slyllabus thorougly will be essential for helping my students succeed.  I really need to make sure I do this when starting every course.

It is important to get to know the students. Give them background on yourself and then ask them to do the same. Learn their names as quickly as you can. Set the expectations of the class. 

Help students bond, and normalize common fears so they can move forward easier. 

The importance of learning student's names.

When teaching, it must reach the students at 3 levels: the head for intellect, the heart for passion, and the gut to incite action. Set the tone for the class and the school year. Be intentional in learning each student's name to ensure they will feel included and welcomed.

Brenda DaCosta

I’ve learn from this module Getting Started Meeting the class for the First Time are the following: How to make a positive first impression with your students (pronounce their name correctly and remember their name), Video on What make a Great Class (Head, Heart, Gut), To Do List (Introduction and Handouts, Overview and Requirements, Additional Guidelines) Motivating Students, Video on Class Participation, Optional Activities and Ending the Class. In addition Iiked the Knowledge Btye questions that made you think responses to questions on How should the students feel as they leave the first class?

It is important to learn each student by name and to let the student know about your background. 

My first day meeting my students was exciting and we were all getting aquainted and learning each others names. I spoke some on my background in dental assisting and that I had worked at Concorde Career College 19 years ago. They had many questions so I made sure I answered them sufficiently. I also made sure they knew how each module in every term worked and went over all we would be doing that week plus some extra handouts to help in that first module. I have such a great class that is eager to learn and very modivated which makes me proud of them.

Its great to learn each students name and a fact about them. Also start by telling a bit about your self (background, experience, etc.) then reveal more as each students introduces themsleves. Use empathy to their stories with your own expereinces.

Present them with greetings and class material

I am someone worried about the idea of a cohort treating me as an outsider.   I want them to have confidence that I am there to help them meet their goals.

Students should leave the first class meeting with a sense of what to expect from the instructor and what the instructor expects from them for the course. 

This gave great advice about how to conduct first class meeting. I have learned ways of keeping them engaged, yet providing them information about the course. I have learned the importance of remembering the student's names. 

It is important to know names and make students feel important!

get to know your students as much as possible and get your students to know eachother

Setting a good first impression and familiarizing yourself with the students and also introducing students to eachother help create a more condusive enviorment effective for learning.

Sign In to comment