Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Students should have an idea of where they are going. Students should know their classmates and become a little more Comfortable. Students should also know that you care as an instructor about their success

Learning the student's names. Doing a different type of introductory "name, etc." 

Sometimes you may think you dont want to spend to much time talking about yourself, but this is an important step that should not be omitted.

Hello fellow peers 

I learned introductions are important, what I would do when I taught in person classes was have the students say their name and an interesting fact, then the next student needed to remember the previous students name (not the fact) and state their own name and fact, and so on and so on. The students enjoy this introduction game because it's fun and less stressful then standing up and stating your name and an interesting fact. I have received positive feedback about this activity. 

Gettimg to know students and letting the students get to know you helps to ease the fears and build relationships. WIth any relationships it  takes time to build a rapport but introductions helps to set the stage for the relationshio 

I learned that on the first day it's important to introduce myself to the class, let the students introduce themselves and try to remember their names.

It's important to introduce myself to the students.

Is important to know about  your students and viceversa.

It is important to learn each student's name. It shows you care enough to learn their names. 

Ensuring there is interaction between the instructor and individual student allows an opportunity for both to feel more comfortable on the first day of a new course.

Making students feel comfortable and giving them the information to be successful the first day is key

There are several tips that I can apply:

Introduction & Handouts can be helpful to convey comfort to the students on their first day of class. 

Reviewing requirements for the course, goals, objectives, expectations, participation, and basis for evaluation I also topics to discuss on the first day of class. 

Start to learn the students' names. Personally, it takes me a while to learn names, but as an instructor, I will try my best to remember my 6-8 students' names.

Getting to know your students as individuals, and letting the students know who you are, will help to establish rapport.  As Teddy Roosevelt said, "Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."  By establishing both credibility and rapport, a professor can help the students feel more at ease about taking a course as an adult.

Taking time out of the first class to not only conduct introductions, but also to introduce students to the course, is paramount.  It may feel like time that could be better spent with instruction; however, by outlining the course goals, objectives, and expectations, a professor is able to set the course for students to be successful in class.

It is important to learn every student names to engage students in learning activities and for students to feel acknowledged. 

Showing that you care about them learning. Learning their name is important because its sets the dynamics of the student-instructor relationship

Lately, I've been thinking a lot about creating community. If I expect my students to be client-focused when they are practicing, then I need to be student-focused when they are learning. By modeling the behavior that I expect of them, they can see what it means to be professional and to practice what we as occupational therapists preach. 

It is important to give students the proper tools to help them study, learn your students, and set expectations.

It is important to get to know the students and their learning styles and accomodate for their success. 

It is important to introduce yourself and give a overview of the class. Discussing accessibility ,attentance and syllabus also help student understand the goals of the class. Expectations, participation and evaluations are important. One must remember modeling, managing and motivation as the three key factors to assist in teaching.

Sign In to comment