Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Student Services

I found some great ideas in here for student services, some which we already participate in and some others that would be benificial to start implementing

In this Module it explains what attriton (quitting) is, why is not explained in module 1 when at that point is when you first read about the word

Improving your placement programs...

What does your placement department do to reach students throughout training? What could be improved to increase student retention?

Improving your school involvement activities...

Develop a list of ideal school involvement activities that can be implemented in your school to increase student retention.

Improving your orientation programs...

What kind of comprehensive orientation program can be put in place at your school? Or how can your current orientation program be improved to increase student retention?

Improving retention.

At our school the other day we had a meeting to discuss rention. It is very improtant that everyone in our staff be present because we are all involved in there lives.

What is attrition?

What are some whys we can get the students to understand attrition?

How to deal with student issues.

Students have problems in there life most of the time so I try to help them with as much help as I can . If I feel like I can't help I will send them to my Director for further assistance.

Improving retention

I think instructors should have a meeting once a month about retention.

Understanding students

How do you get students to listen and understand and face their problems?

Attrition

How do I explain attrition to my students?

Retention

I think the retention plays an important roll with our students.

Improving Retention

The school where I work has tried many methods of increasing student retention. All methods were informally thrown out to instructors and other school personnel with the expectation that each person involved would act accordingly. Each individual appeared to work on their own, and no real improvements in retention were made. A few months back the school established a three step program of working with students to locate problems early. The three step program: (1) Student advising (consultation) by the instructor. (An informal meeting between the instructor and student and the instructor keep record of such meeting.) (2) Instructor /… >>>

What incentives can we use to retain students who are repeating a course and still do not attend?

I want to reach students who have the capability to succeed, but do not apply themselves, while maintaining academic integrity.

Retention basics

Our school implemented stricter interaction between student and instructor. Not all retention burdens fall onto Services. This appears to be working, however, it is not 100%. Are there any other schools with this student/instructor interaction? Does it appear to be helping with retention?

Motivation

I am looking for a book/cd that could be given to prospective students . Something dealing with career search, getting control of your life, motivation etc.

Quantity vs. Quality

In post secondary education, is it better to give a small number of students a higher quality of education or is it better to give a lesser quality to a larger number of students in order to gain recognition and accredidation for a school.

Where can I get information on seminars regarding retention.

How do you know which problems/topics you shouldn't help a student with.

How would I go by in creating a retention outline.